Former Carleton Ravens captain Brandon MacLean scored the overtime winner that catapulted the Florida Everblades to their first ever Kelly Cup championship in the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) finals with a 3-2 overtime win against the Las Vegas Wranglers.

“It’s a goal that you dream about scoring as a kid and you never think you’re going to get the opportunity . . It’s something I will never forget,” MacLean said of his overtime goal.

The winning goal was MacLean’s fourth of the post-season, which contributed to his playoff-high total of 13 points in 18 games among rookies.

“He’s someone who has a big heart and puts a stamp on everything he does,” said Ravens’ head coach Marty Johnston. “He’s got to be considered one of the best players we’ve ever had.”

As a three-time Ontario University Athletics (OUA) all-star and tallying 143 points in 108 career games played with the Ravens, it is clear that MacLean is a special hockey player who has left his legacy at Carleton.

“Carleton helped me to develop a lot of great skills,” MacLean said. “They have great coaches that helped me become a professional and develop both my body and mind.”

MacLean said he has many warm memories of Carleton, but said the one that stands out for him is spending time and growing with his teammates.

“Becoming men with guys that I had been living with for four years . . . and the relationships that I will have for a lifetime is my fondest memory,” he said.

Carleton not only provided MacLean with a place to develop his skills on the ice, he said it also gave him the skills needed in the classroom to obtain an undergraduate degree in law. But MacLean said his focus right now is to continue with hockey.

“In the immediate future it’s about trying to find a job at the next level in the American Hockey League, and if that doesn’t happen I have been offered a contract to go back in Florida,” he said. “The best thing about having a degree is having that to fall back on if hockey ends suddenly,” he said.

Johnston said he feels MacLean has a successful hockey career ahead of him.

“I think he will do well . . . it’s important for any player to get in there and get a few games under their belt, and in a very short period of time he has already put his stamp on what he can do by winning a Kelly Cup and being the overtime hero to seal that championship,” Johnston said.

As for the Ravens team now, Johnston said their focus is not to replace MacLean with one player, but to work as a team to make up for his absence.

“It’s about trying to fill that void offensively and as a group knowing there is a big voice lost in the room,” Johnston said.

“As a group we have to try to fill that space as best we can but we’re not going to ever replace him.”