Former star wide receiver for the Carleton Ravens football team, Nate Behar, is hoping for a better sophomore year with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League (CFL).

Behar was drafted fifth overall in the 2017 CFL Draft, the highest CFL draft position for a Raven in the history of the program. In his final year as a Raven, Behar had 57 receptions for a total of 788 yards in only eight games, and was also named a first-team all-Canadian.

Behar played four years for the Ravens, and is perhaps most well-known for his last second hail Mary catch in the end zone to win the Panda Game in 2014. Over his career at Carleton, he totalled 178 receptions, 2,577 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Behar noted that his time at Carleton had a tremendous impact on his development as a football player.

“The Ravens have more full time coaches than anyone in the U Sports league, that level of commitment was a big factor of why I chose to come here,” Behar said. “The coaching staff [at Carleton] knew how hard I wanted to work, so they always put more on my plate.”

Even though Behar now plays in the CFL, he said he still keeps in contact with former coaches and teammates.

“Every game I keep in contact with [head] coach [Steve] Sumarah . . .” Behar said. “I usually text them while they are playing, so I don’t get a text right away. I will be watching the game, and get amped up and yell ‘what are you doing with that route?’ ”

Although Behar had tremendous success in his U Sports career, the Ravens alumnus said he is finding that life is much harder in the CFL. Behar was limited to being a depth player in his rookie year for the Edmonton Eskimos, and did not get as many opportunities like he did at Carleton.

The small amount of playing time for Behar impacted his statistics. Behar found himself averaging zero receiving yards, and zero catches per game, and not playing much of his regular position of wide receiver.

“I accepted my role early. I knew it was going to be a year to learn,” Behar said. “I am excited for what is to come.”

After missing training camp for the Eskimos last year because of a contract dispute, Behar found that it was difficult to adapt to the team.

Behar said being on the same team as his former teammate Kwabena Asare, who also played four years at Carleton with Behar, was a tremendous help for him at this time.

The Eskimos’ regular season begins in early July, and Behar is looking to make an impact in the CFL pre-season in order to crack the illusive opening day first string line-up.

Behar’s contract with the Eskimos ends after the upcoming season, and he said he is taking things one game at a time.

“It is an exciting future. This year, hopefully things will be a lot different,” Behar said. “This year, I am really going to try to put on a show at training camp so I can be a starter.”

Photo by Meagan Casalino