Former Canadian Football League (CFL) lineman, professional wrestler, and Ottawa sports radio personality Glenn Kulka pleaded guilty to assault on Feb. 10.

Appearing before Ontario Superior Court Justice Bonnie Warkentin, 51-year-old Kulka of Ottawa admitted to assaulting Stittsville business owner Henry Nguyen during an altercation at the Oasis Spa in July of 2012.

In a joint statement of facts provided by the defence and prosecution, the court heard Kulka had entered the spa unannounced and demanded Nguyen to call a man named David Touhey. According to earlier court documents, Touhey had given a $35,000 loan to Nguyen.

When Nguyen refused to make the call on the cell phone offered to him by Kulka, the interaction between the two men turned violent. The former Ottawa Rough Rider and host of Over the Edge on TSN 1200—standing 6-foot-4 and weighing about 255 lbs. at the time of the incident—grabbed the significantly smaller Nguyen by the throat and threw him to the floor.

Crown prosecutor Sarah Fountain told the court though Nguyen wasn’t seriously injured during the heated exchange, it left him feeling scared and sore. Fountain said the victim also had large red marks on his neck and later complained of wrist pain.

Kulka’s lawyer Neil Weinstein asked Warkentin to consider granting Kulka an absolute discharge. This would mean his client wouldn’t serve jail time and the assault charge would be wiped from his criminal record.

Fountain on the other hand urged Kulka be sentenced to a conditional discharge—including two years probation—citing the need for him to be rehabilitated into the community.

“There needs to be consequences for his actions on that day,” Fountain said in her submission.

Weinstein argued a conditional discharge is the most appropriate course of action for Kulka, a man whose health has been seriously compromised in recent years due to the many injuries he sustained during his career as a professional athlete.

“He has, in fact, suffered some 20-plus concussions,” Weinstein said in court.

Weinstein also highlighted Kulka’s past battle with substance abuse, and the fact Kulka is highly regarded for charity work in the Ottawa area. He has participated in pizza eating contests for the Ottawa Food Bank and now speaks at local schools about overcoming his drug and alcohol addictions.

“Mr. Kulka is, has been something of a local sports celebrity in Ottawa,” Weinstein said in court. “He is an individual who is known for giving up his time to a number of charities.”

Fountain reminded the court Kulka’s actions caused serious emotional harm to a man nearly half his size.

“I think it’s important to put yourself as much as possible in the shoes of Mr. Nguyen,” Fountain said in court. “This event is an event that is not trivial or trifling—this is an event that affected Mr. Nguyen.”

Fountain said the 50 hours of community service being sought by the Crown would allow for both the victim and the public to have some confidence in the justice system.

“It is the responsibility of the courts to ensure victims receive some satisfaction with the system, some satisfaction with the outcome,” Fountain said in court.

Warkentin, rendering her verdict on Feb. 12, ultimately granted Kulka a voluntary discharge.