Sheldon O’Grady, an 18-year-old former Algonquin College student was stabbed to death in the early hours of Jan. 5 after an altercation outside Club Addiction in Hull, Que., according to police.

O’Grady was a first-year student at Algonquin until he withdrew in October, according to the CBC. He was a starting mid-fielder for the Algonquin’s men’s soccer team.

According to a press release from Club Addiction, a verbal altercation began inside the club and the men involved, including O’Grady, were asked to leave the club to ensure the safety of other customers.

Altercations then continued outside the club leading to O’Grady’s death. He was reportedly stabbed down the street from Club Addiction and was taken to hospital,  and was pronounced dead at 8 a.m. Jan. 5.

O’Grady was well loved among his peers and family. Isaac Johnson, O’Grady’s teammate at Algonquin College, had nothing but great things to say about his former teammate.

“He was a jokester. Always doing something funny that everybody would find hilarious, himself included . . . [but on] the soccer pitch he was always determined.”

O’Grady’s death is Gatineau’s first homicide of 2013.

This event sparked criticism towards Club Addiction on their Facebook page and other social media sites.

“Simply carrying on, opening the club the same day and not changing a thing is not only embarrassing for yourselves, but is a sign of blatant disrespect to Sheldon and his family,” wrote Facebook user Bezzy Evraire.

Lindsay Routliffe, a first-year game development student at Algonquin College, said Club Addiction has always been known as a rough area.

“I’m not really surprised that something like that would happen at Addiction,” Routliffe said.

Club Addiction responded to the public’s concerns by stating on their Facebook page that their club’s security acted according to protocol and in the best interests of their customers.

The club offered condolences to the family in the press release.

“Following the unfortunate events that occurred in the night of Friday to Saturday Jan. 5, Club Addiction would like to extend its deepest condolences to the O’Grady family and friends,” the release read.

Mourad Louati, 18, has been charged with second-degree murder and pleaded not guilty in a Gatineau court Jan. 7.

Louati is a resident of Ottawa and according to his lawyer, Joseph M. Addelman, Louati turned himself into Gatineau police late Jan. 5 and is pleading not guilty to the murder.

The weapon that caused O’Grady’s death has not been located. Gatineau police are requesting that anyone who may have information to call (819) 243- 2346, ext. 6677.