(Photo courtesy of Justin Greaves)

The coaching staff of the Carleton Ravens football team remains focused on improvements rather than wins and losses, according to head coach Steve Sumarah.

The Ravens lost 50-10 to the University of Toronto Varsity Blues Sept. 27 at Varsity Stadium in Toronto, allowing a score in every quarter and giving up 583 total yards, the most since their first game of the season against the Western University Mustangs.

At this point in the team’s development it is more important to concentrate on playing fundamentally-sound football, rather than the opposition, Sumarah said.

“We’re not worried about the other team. We’re still in our infancy. You have to grow and develop on your own first,” he said. “At this point we need to get a little bigger and stronger and not play hesitantly.”

While the mental part of football can be overlooked, Sumarah said being mentally sharp is just as important as being physically ready to play.

He added that although winning does matter, it is more important for players to build a solid foundation for future success. Once the team is able to play confidently, they will start to see better results.

This foundation is starting to develop.

In the three games before the loss to the Blues, the offence doubled their score in each game.

Wide receiver Dexter Brown said the offence is starting to come together and they are moving the ball downfield much better.

The Ravens only managed 156 total net yards in their loss to the Blues.

Their defence did manage three fumble recoveries and Jahvari Bennett returned a kick for 29 yards on special teams.

Brown said this loss was the first real setback of the season and the team plans to have an intense week of practice in preparation for the Panda Game against the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees.

“It’s about who’s the best in the city—us or Ottawa U. The winner takes the reigns,” Brown said.

The Ravens will need to play their most complete game of the season in order to beat the Gee-Gees, Brown said.

This may seem like a tall order, but Brown said the offensive line has shown noticeable improvement and the defence is steadily improving their ability to stop opposing offences.

The players are working to keep their mistakes to a minimum and are focused on winning next week’s game, Brown said.

Sumarah said although it is a rivalry game, fans should temper their expectations for the time being.

“Obviously there’s an element of excitement for the school. But it’s nothing  more to us, but another game,” he said. “In a couple of years, this will be a fantastic rivalry.”