Three weeks after the end of the season, the football team came together for Giving Tuesday to tackle blood shortages by hosting a football blood donation drive.

Several of the football players gave blood themselves, while the whole team helped recruit donors.

“Based on the success that we had last year, we were thrilled that the football team wanted to do it again,” according to Mary Ann St. Michael, a Canadian Blood Services employee.

“We often see a dip in donors during winter months and in the holidays,” she said. “This clinic being full is so important to us, because that’s going to help us build up that national inventory.”

This event is going to help continue to give blood to those who need it over the holidays.

St. Michael pointed out that the clinic was at capacity again this year.

“Every minute of every day, somebody in Canada needs blood and that doesn’t take a break for the holidays . . . The football team has a such a huge reach and reached more people than I ever could on my own,” she said.

Head coach Steve Sumarah played a major role in organizing the event.

“Well, our first year, we had a lot of guys just give blood. Last year and now this year, we’ve kind of been the driving force behind it.” Sumarah said at the event. “It gives our guys an opportunity to be part of something bigger than themselves.”

Adam Youssef, a second-year offensive lineman, sees the blood drive as not only charitable but as a bonding experience.

“I really think it helps us come together and bond as a team. The more we’re together and the more we’re doing stuff and bonding as a team, the better things will be next fall.” Youssef said.

Starting running back Nathan Carter gave blood at the event. Carter had an up-and-down season but had a breakout game against McMaster University in the playoffs with four touchdowns.

Carter sees the blood drive as an opportunity to work on some of his intangible skills.

“As a major cog in the offence, you have a certain kind of pull with other guys on the team, where they will look to you and what you’re doing,” Carter said. “It’s important for that reason for me to be at events like this.”

“For me, I’m not a natural leader, but it’s something I’m trying to work on,” Carter added.

St. Michael commended the team for their work on this initiative.

“I think the football team is leading by example and showing the campus that giving blood is cool.”                                

—With files from Kassia Skorzewska

Photo by Tim Austen