As Ryerson’s food contract with Aramark continues to be debated among students and faculty, the Charlatan takes a look at various food services offered at universities across the province.

Queen’s University

Food services offered at Queen’s University were reportedly ranked second overall in Canada by the most recent Globe and Mail survey, according to Bruce Griffiths, the university’s director of housing and hospitality services at Queen’s University.

Queen’s has a management fee contract with a company called Sodexo, meaning that all revenues go to the university. Sodexo bills Queen’s for all food, labour, and management fees, and the remaining money goes to Queen’s, so the university incurs no losses.

“This gives us control over many critical decisions such as pricing, hours of operation, and types of meal plans,” Griffiths said. “In effect we pay Sodexo to bring their expertise to operate our food service with significant input from the university.”

Dining options include three dining halls and various retail food outlets.

Western University

Food services at Western University are self-operated with no contract and incurring no losses, according to Frank Miller, director of hospitality services at Western.

Western was ranked the top school overall for food as judged by students, according to the last Globe & Mail survey, Miller said.

On campus, there are diverse eating opportunities. Every residence has a dining hall, and there are 12 franchised retail food outlets on campus. There is also a meal plan option available to students, which allows them to use part of their money off-campus.

Miller said that Western is constantly trying to evolve to fit student needs and wants.

Trent University

Trent has a contract with Aramark for residence meal plans and various other operations, according to Laura Storey, the university’s director of housing.

They also have three independent food services which are run separately on campus: The Seasoned Spoon, The Planet, and Be @ the Trend. Storey says that no side losses are incurred.

“Trent University is currently reviewing food services and expects to put out a request for proposals in fall 2013,” Storey said.

She noted that student reaction to the food services on campus vary, depending on where the student is eating.