Photo by Emily Haws

Creamy chocolate eggs, decadent marshmallow birds, and of course, the classic milk chocolate Easter bunny. That’s right, Easter is just around the corner.

With Easter candies tormenting me on every trip to the grocery store, there seemed like no better time to eat chocolate under the guise of journalism. After examining the selection, I pulled some old and new options from the shelf and had my friends Miranda, Rhianna, and Penny give me their reviews to help make your decisions easier (once it all goes on sale after Easter weekend—let’s be real).

Mini Eggs

These are a must. Reviewing them felt unnecessary, but not buying them was impossible. The combination of milk chocolate and candy shell means you can’t stop until the entire bag is gone.

Rhianna summed it up for us all: “I just have nothing bad to say about them. Like, you could eat the whole bag and you’ll die, but you’ll die happy.”

Ratings:
Miranda – 5/5
Rhianna – 6/5
Penny – 5/5

Fudgee-O Egg

Miranda had such high hopes for this egg that she dibbed the entire thing for herself. Composed of thick chocolate and fudge-y cream filling, her face fell after one bite.

“Meh, it’s like, okay,” she explained afterwards. “I was expecting a lot more. It’s not fantastic, but I’m probably going to finish it.”

With no cookie flavour to it, Miranda said she felt the egg was lacking an essential element, and complained the fudge got stuck in her teeth.

Rating:
Miranda – 2/5

Caramilk Egg

Since Miranda had claimed the Fudgee-O, Rhianna and Penny tackled the Caramilk Egg together.

“There’s a pool of caramel,” said Rhianna, gazing at the egg, unsure. “I’m not happy about it. I could take it like a shot. I don’t want to, but I could.”

Penny said she didn’t find the caramel that bad. “If you eat it slow, it just melts in your mouth,” she explained.

After the first bite, the egg fell apart and created an oozing mess in their hands.

“I would not eat that again,” Rhianna gagged. “I’m going to eat Mini Eggs to wash it away.”

Ratings:
Rhianna – 1/5
Penny – 4/5

Oreo Egg

Unlike the Caramilk Egg, the Oreo Egg’s filling was solid. It nearly tasted like the Cookies ‘n’ Creme bar by Hershey, but Miranda said she thought it seemed off somehow, almost sour.

“Ugh, I did not enjoy,” Rhianna said, shuddering. “At first I was like ‘wow, I can really get behind this.’ Then I was hit by the cream, and it wasn’t enough cookie flavour.”

Penny agreed. “I don’t like the flavour of the cream,” she said. “There should be more Oreo chunks in it.”

Ratings:
Miranda – 2.5/5
Rhianna – 2/5
Penny – 2/5

Creme Egg

The Creme Egg has a cult following. With a filling so sweet you can taste the sugar grains, it had a mixed reaction amongst my friends, who said they found the colour of the cream off-putting.

“It’s funny, I hate Creme Eggs, but this is my favourite one,” Rhianna explained. “Like, I would eat this egg over the other ones.”

“This is the best one,” Penny agreed.

But previous Creme Egg trauma had Miranda shaking her head.

“I don’t want any,” she refused. “I really hate them.”

Ratings:
Miranda – 0/5
Rhianna – 3/5
Penny – 3.5/5

To conclude this experiment: When it comes to Easter chocolates, the classics can’t be beat. Stick with your Mini Eggs and Cadbury Creme Eggs, and you won’t be disappointed.