Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Perusing through the LCBO before a night of, well, drinking, I decided to veer away from my usual drink of choice (beer) and go for wine. Some nights I just feel like being classy. I decided on an easy drinking wine—a sauvignon blanc from Jackson Triggs. The price was right, only setting me back nine dollars.

After my night of classiness, I still had a bit of wine left. Hmmm, what to do? The easy answer was to be even classier, and use it for cooking.

Normally I don’t just have a bottle of wine hanging around my house, so certain wine-requiring recipes lay in waiting. It’s a shame because cooking with wine is lovely and adds so much flavour (I know I sound like a snob).

One such recipe is for spaghetti squash tetrazzini. I love this recipe for a few reasons: it’s tasty, it’s cheap to make, and I can fool myself into eating healthy because I have a bad habit of eating a lot of pasta while in school. But this is make-believe pasta, so it doesn’t count.

Spaghetti squash doesn’t have exactly the same texture as real spaghetti, but the similarities are enough to live up to the name. Once cooked, simply use a fork to scoop out the meat, and voila—it looks like spaghetti!

Ingredients

½ cup of white wine

2 spaghetti squash

1 tbsp of olive oil

2 minced cloves of garlic

1 package of cremini mushrooms

2 tbsp of all purpose flour

1 tsp of basil   

¼ tsp salt

1/8  tsp nutmeg

1 cup milk

1 cup mozzarella

1 can of tomatoes

1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Use a knife to make slits all over the spaghetti squash. Place in a glass plate and microwave on high, turning squash over halfway through, about 12-15 minutes. When done, slice in half and let cool for 10 minutes. Scoop out seeds and use a fork to scrape out the contents of the squash.
  2. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and garlic. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender.
  3. Add flour, basil, salt, nutmeg, and wine. Cook for one minute.
  4. Stir in milk and cook until sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and add cheese and squash.
  6. Scoop mixture into an oven safe dish. Drain tomatoes and place on top of squash mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  7. Bake until bubbly, 10-15 minutes.
  8. Make all your roommates jealous by enjoying your meal loudly.