Ottawa welcomed its final festival of the summer season last night at Hog’s Back Park and with an audience of all ages sporting jean shorts, plaid shirts and cradling beers, it certainly didn’t feel like the beginning of September.

Folk Festival’s inaugural night was a Canadian-studded affair with artists Matt Mays and Danny Michel performing riveting sets of their new albums, sprinkled, of course, with old favourites. Both artists mentioned their delight of playing in a Canadian festival.

Danny Michel

“I used to live here and I recognize a lot of faces,” Michel said of the crowd as the sunset during his early performance. He joked frequently, laughing at being startled by the familiarity of the crowd as he was singing.

Ben Harper

Headlining act Ben Harper executed a remarkable set, starting with crowd favourites.  The sets included covers from both Marvin Gaye and Pearl Jam, and of solo folk music on a variety of instruments including a vibraphone, a ukulele, piano and guitars ranging from acoustic to electric.

The crowd, which had a calmer ambiance then those who frequent Ottawa’s popular music festival, Bluesfest, was enthralled by Harper’s classic “Burn One Down” and remained attentive for the remainder of his set list which included an assortment of crowd-pleasing favourites.

Harper didn’t shy away from covers after his opening, performing Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” to an entranced audience. While his set list varied in genres, Harper was quick to thank the crowd for their part in keeping folk music alive. The audience’s response demonstrated a clear reciprocation of his thanks.

Matt Mays

And they weren’t the only ones who thanked Harper. Nova Scotia native Mays was noticeably exultant to be playing on the same stage as Harper. “It’s kind of weird to see your name on a chalk board with one of your heroes,” Mays said.

Sporting a Canadian tuxedo (denim on denim) and a straw hat, Mays held up quite a performance of his own. He introduced a mixed audience of dedicated fans and new listeners to old classics and new songs from his latest album, Coyote, released just two days earlier.

Mays’ new album, while underlined with folk tunes, explores a range of genres and perfectly depicts the last few years of his life which he spent traveling on a journey of self-discovery. Despite promoting his new work, Mays didn’t disappoint a hopeful audience with his soulful performance of “Cocaine Cowgirl.”

Matthew Good

Following Mays, Matthew Good played a captivating solo performance and was especially chatty with the crowd, joking with them between songs and discussing his delight to be back in Canada.

Mirel Wagner

To his left, Finnish singer Mirel Wagner, originally from Ethiopia, rivaled Good’s set.  Wagner’s evident nerves, her performance of her eerie-like music, which she described as, “beautiful”, was powerful and like all performers of the night, charmed the audience.

The festival’s first night had a range of performers who demonstrated the inventive difference between folk music from one artist to another and left an immense audience visibly pleased as they left the grounds.