Lloyd Pandi (#41): Men's basketball. [Photo from file]

Five current and former Carleton Ravens men’s basketball players were named to Canada Basketball’s preliminary roster for the FIBA AmeriCup 2022 qualifiers in San Juan, Puerto Rico. 

Former Carleton Ravens Kaza Kajami-Keane and Thomas and Phil Scrubb, and current Ravens Lloyd Pandi and Grant Shephard were named to the preliminary rosters. Pandi is currently an alternate for the Canada team and the four other players have been involved in game action with Canada at the event.

Canada has been able to put together two wins in a row against the US Virgin Islands at the event. The three Ravens alumni put their experience on display and performed very well for Canada. 

https://twitter.com/CanBball/status/1363282055199674373

This is a significant achievement for the Carleton program, said Ravens men’s basketball head coach Taffe Charles.

Charles said playing on the international level is something the Carleton Ravens strive for. 

“Our program is kind of centred around trying to get these guys to the next level … It’s always good to see Carleton Ravens represent Canada on an international stage,” he said. 

Pandi and Shephard said this achievement can help them bring more experience to Carleton this fall.

Pandi said he is looking forward to the opportunity to “pick the brain” of the older players. He said he feels the opportunity will help him further develop his game and take it to the next level.

Charles said the opportunity will help the development of the players. Shephard has yet to play a game for the Ravens as he transferred to the team after their 2019 championship season. 

Neither Pandi or Shephard have played competitively since the CEBL bubble last summer. Charles said this event and future tournaments will give them an opportunity to play and stay ready for the upcoming season. 

“For them to actually be able to get an opportunity and see some kind of light at the end of the tunnel in terms of their competing is massive for them,” Charles said. 

“My expectations for Carleton always remain the same, which is winning a championship. Collectively, that’s our goal and always has been our goal,” Pandi said about using his CEBL and international experience to help the Ravens next year. 

Carleton director of basketball operations Dave Smart said this experience will help young players like Pandi and Shephard continue to grow their game. 

“Any new experience, anything that takes you out of your comfort zone is going to make you stronger, whether you’re successful in it or not,” Smart said. 

Smart added that the veteran leadership and familiar faces on Team Canada should help them adapt to the new challenge. He said both players are someone that coaches like to have on their team. 

The event is to qualify for a tournament to help Canada reach the Olympics. This is something Canada has failed to do in recent years. 

The players will look to gain valuable experience at the event and future games with Canada Basketball in hopes of capturing another national championship for the Ravens this fall.