Now that all of the 2017-18 Carleton sports seasons have finished up, The Charlatan is running its annual readers choice awards. Readers will be able to vote for their top Ravens head coach this season. Online voting will be open until April 3 at www.charlatan.ca.

From the list of Ravens head coaches below, which one is most deserving of The Charlatan’s Readers Choice award?

• Taffe Charles (99%, 971 Votes)
  • Kwesi Loney (0%, 3 Votes)
  • Dave Smart (0%, 2 Votes)
  • Shaun Van Allen (0%, 1 Votes)
  • Patrick Thompson (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 977

Loading ... Loading ...

Dave Smart

Men’s basketball

Despite a strong veteran core leaving the team, Dave Smart was able to lead his team to an undefeated regular season and an Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championship. The team ended their season bringing home a bronze medal at U Sports nationals, a slightly disappointing ending for the consistently top-ranked team in Canada.

Smart also won his ninth straight U Sports men’s basketball coach of the year award.

Taffe Charles

Women’s basketball

After finishing third at U Sports nationals last year, Charles and the Ravens brought home gold for the first time in program history. This season saw the Ravens go undefeated all year racking up 23 wins in the OUA regular season. The team also brought home the Critelli Cup for the second year in a row.

Charles also brought home the U Sports women’s basketball coach of the year award.

Shaun Van Allen

Men’s hockey

The interim head coach of the men’s hockey team had low expectations heading into the season, after the departure of long-time head coach Marty Johnston and a large portion of the veteran core. However, the Ravens came out strong, landing themselves in the top 10 rankings for U Sports early in the season.

The team surpassed the previous year’s win record, going 17-7-4 over the course of the season. The Ravens were defeated in the first round of the OUA playoffs by the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees.

Patrick Thompson

Women’s rugby

The head coach of the women’s rugby team helped lead the squad to their best win record since the program’s inception in 2013. Going 4-3 in the regular season, the Ravens landed narrowly outside of a playoff spot as they lost the tiebreaker.

The Ravens were able to put up 171 points over the course of the season.

Kwesi Loney

Men’s soccer

In his second year as head coach of the men’s soccer team, Loney took the team to nationals, where they finished in sixth place. The Ravens led the OUA with a record of 13-1-2, while scoring a total of 57 goals, first in the OUA.

The Ravens were defeated by the York Lions in both the OUA final and national consolation final.

Loney was recognized as the OUA East coach of the year and the team took home six all-star awards. He was also named director of soccer operations, overseeing both the men’s and women’s programs.

Photos by Marc Lafleur