As another school year ends, the Charlatan has once again put together their list of nominees for the annual Readers’ Choice Awards. Readers can cast their vote below for their chosen Coach of the Year until April 30.

Taffe Charles
Men’s basketball

After making the switch from the women’s basketball program to the men’s, head coach Taffe Charles came in and once again helped Carleton lift the national title, this time on home court. 

On top of the U Sports title, Charles led the team to a Wilson Cup title and top place in the OUA East. His efforts earned him OUA Coach of the Year, as well as being the first head coach to win both the women’s and men’s nationals titles.

Kwesi Loney
Men’s soccer

After winning a bronze medal at the 2018 U Sports Nationals, men’s soccer head coach Kwesi Loney was preparing his team to go for gold from the start of the regular season. 

He led his team to the top spot in the OUA East, coached Carleton to lift the Blackwood Cup for the first time since 2005, finished fourth at U Sports Nationals with an overall season record of 17-3, and was named both OUA East and U Sports Coach of the Year. 

Daylon Courchene
Men’s baseball

A coaching change in the middle of the season had Daylon Courchene go from former player to coach and bring the Ravens back from a 5-10 record early in the fall to a championship silver medal finish in their first year in the OUA. 

Shaun Van Allen
Men’s hockey

Despite being eliminated in the OUA playoffs, Shaun Van Allen made the Ravens team a force to be reckoned with during the regular season as they ear-marked a university-record 49 points in 28 games.

Van Allen’s versatile use of the entire roster helped the men’s hockey team secure the top spot in the OUA East in an action packed season which included a thrilling 4-2 comeback win in the Colonel By Classic. 

Robert D’Arras
Nordic Skiing

While in charge of the men’s and women’s nordic skiing teams, Robert D’Arras propelled both teams to the top spot of the OUA Championships as both teams beat the Lakehead Thunderwolves for gold. This is the first time Carleton has brought home both banners since the 2016-17 season. 

D’Arras’ coaching skills also helped four male and four female athletes be named to the respective OUA All Star teams and helped list Carleton athletes as 40 per cent of the selected all star winners. 

Readers' Choice Coach of the Year

• C. Daylon Courchene (88%, 37 Votes)
  • A. Taffe Charles (7%, 3 Votes)
  • B. Kwesi Loney (2%, 1 Votes)
  • E. Robert D'Arras (2%, 1 Votes)
  • D. Shaun Van Allen (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 42

Loading ... Loading ...

Feature image from file.