There is no official policy outlining who is responsible for getting condoms to residence students, said Health and Counselling nurse Patty Allen. (Photo by Fraser Tripp)

Unlike previous fall orientations, the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) did not supply condoms this year through frosh kits because of a continuing delay from their supplier.

“They were ordered before orientation week but did not arrive in time,” CUSA vice-president (student issues) Hayley Dobson said.

“They should be here by the end of this week.”

The condoms are from a new supplier this year.  A price increase at the usual supplier and quality issues with the LifeStyles brand caused the change to Durex condoms, Dobson said.

Although there is no official policy for housing to supply condoms to students, Health and Counselling nurse Patty Allen said they ensured residence fellows were given the free LifeStyles condoms from Ottawa Public Health. She noted that the condoms were also available for CUSA to pick up for their fall orientation week.

Until the order comes in, CUSA has a smaller supply of condoms at their 401 Unicentre office to hand out.

Condoms were also supplied late to residence fellows this year. Due to “shifts” in the condom supply chain between Health and Counselling Services and Housing and Conference Services, who supply residence fellows, acting assistant director of housing and conference services Natalie Allen said they were “a few days late.”

Allen said students can now get condoms from their residence fellows, and, if not, residence fellows should pick them up from the Housing and Conference Services office.

“Considering the amount of sex that can happen during frosh, and considering how important it is to ensure people have a safe university experience, there is a responsibility to provide for students,” CUSA councillor and GLBTQ Centre volunteer David MacMillan said.

Instead of the usual sources, students had their orientation week condom supply covered this year through active distribution by the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) and the GLBTQ centre, MacMillan said.

After hearing first-years were not supplied, MacMillan said the GSA was first on the scene and that the GLBTQ Centre supplied students with condoms from a table in the Unicentre atrium.

The GSA got their condoms from Planned Parenthood Ottawa, said GSA vice-president (external) Anna Goldfinch.

Over 3,000 students participated in orientation week this year and MacMillan said they soon found their stock dwindling.

“We didn’t have enough for the entirety of frosh, so we had to order from Ottawa Public Health,” MacMillan said.

That order of about 11,520 LifeStyles condoms arrived Sept. 6 and was sent to the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) for distribution.

“We decided to go through RRRA because most frosh are in residence,” MacMillan said.

“We support students making their own choices and if they want to have sex we want them to do it safely,” RRRA vice-president (programming) Rawan Abujoub said.

Students can find condoms at the RRRA office in Residence Commons beside the residence reception desk.

Condoms may also be found at Mike’s Place pub on the second floor of the Unicentre, right beside the cash, allowing students the option to grab a pitcher of beer and 2-pack of condoms in a single motion.

The GLBTQ Centre at 427 Unicentre supplies condoms as well.

“Ask for a lollipop,” MacMillan said, as well as for dental dams and female condoms.

Other CUSA service centres supplying condoms include the Womyn’s Centre at 308 Unicentre and at BECAMPS, a centre for mature and part-time students, across the hall.