ParaNorman
Alliance Atlantis
Universal

I’ve been a fan of stop-motion films ever since I was a child and first saw The Nightmare Before Christmas. Therefore, it was only natural to be excited when I first heard about ParaNorman. I had high expectations for this film, and each was met, if not exceeded. With ParaNorman, they’ve created a classic. The animation is amazingly done and reason alone to see the movie.

Stop-motion is an animation technique that seems to be going by the wayside with less grueling ways of animating, and it’s no wonder with the intense amount of labour. Laika Entertainment, the production company behind Coraline, have created a masterpiece with ParaNorman which proves the laborious animation techniques should not be abandoned. The slight choppiness the usually comes along with movements in stop-animation (think Gumby: The Movie) is eliminated, creating motion so fluid it is comparable to standard CGI. This by no means takes away from the stop-motion quality. I probably spent the first twenty minutes of the film marveling at how well it was done.

The movie was enhanced by the 3D effects. It really suited the rest of the visual quality without feeling like it was thrown is as a gimmick to get people to the theatres. Aesthetic alone is not the only reason I enjoyed this film. It also possessed great heart.

The story is about Norman, a young boy who can talk to the dead. It is this ability that causes him to be a social outcast, considered a freak by his peers and a constant source of embarrassment for his older sister. However, when a centuries-old curse on the town begins waking the dead, it is up to Norman and his unexpected group comrades to save the day, especially in light of his gift.

Well-written, original, clever and intelligent, the story also boasts characters you can relate to. Norman in particular is very empathetic and is an excellent representative of anyone who has ever felt different. This makes the characters likable, an important factor in any story. The plot itself is nothing special, simple and at times predictable, while still managing to have a few unexpected moments. I found this to be a great asset as it allowed the characters to tell the story, showing it is often what is unique or different about us that makes us the most special.

The story presents a great message that you are never alone, and no matter how isolated you feel, someone loves you — you just have to remember to let them.