movieDirected by James Gunn

Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Guardians of the Galaxy is an action-packed heart-warming adaptation of the Marvel comic. It is equipped with a stellar cast including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, and Dave Bautista who are all put to good use by director and writer James Gunn. The film is filled with comedic scenes and fantastic visuals that will not disappoint Marvel fans.

The film is an outstanding visual experience. The effects and make-up give the movie the extra edge an action film like this deserves. Saldana’s and Bautista’s makeup is littered with specific details for their characters’ appearance. The surroundings are also impeccable. Whether you’re on Earth, a ship, in space, or in the middle of a battle, the movie remains visually outstanding. The animation of fully digital characters Groot and Rocket is superb. Their juxtaposition to human characters appeared to be no challenge for the animators making the movie that much more enjoyable.

Groot and Rocket are the delightful duo that steal the show. They deliver the best comedic scenarios and leave the most emotional impact on the audience. The voicing by Cooper and Diesel was strong as well, which only furthered the well-written script. Zoe Saldana gives a strong performance as Gamora. Her chemistry with Chris Pratt is present throughout their time together and gives life to their words. Pratt delivers an equally memorable performance as the cocky, but loveable, Quill.

Tyler Bates is the mastermind behind the film’s soundtrack. The soundtrack consists of favourite ‘80s songs which occur throughout the movie. The surrounding score was equally great. It was quiet when it needed to be and overpowering at the right moments, assisting the movie’s comedic beats and emotional scenes.

The screenplay is the strongest attribute of the film. James Gunn and Nicole Perlman did a great job adapting the story from its original comic into a movie. They provided dialogue that enabled the actors to perform to the best of their ability and kept the film moving at an appropriate pace.

The movie is undoubtedly an enjoyable experience. It’s an action movie that is best enjoyed in social settings given its comedy and story. The movie is well-paced, timed, and shot. The story is well-connected and the plot has left room for a compelling sequel.