File photo.

Directed by Doug Liman

Distributed by Wanner Bros. Pictures

Edge of Tomorrow offers a breath of fresh air into science fiction—a genre that often relies on CGI, stock characters, and favours action and spectacle over story development.

It’s Groundhog Day meets Aliens with a dash of romantic comedy to create a film that is smart as well as extremely entertaining. Director Doug Liman expertly balances characters and plot with sci-fi time travel.

Earth has been invaded by an alien race called the Mimics who have dominated the war front and taken control of most of Europe.

Tom Cruise’s character, William Cage, is a major in the American military specializing in advertising and thrust head-first into a battle he will never forget.

He becomes stuck in a perpetual loop of the same day. Rita Vrataski, played by Emily Blunt, helps him discover the key to saving the human race from annihilation.

Time travel films run the risk of repetition and regurgitation of events, but Edge of Tomorrow transcends these problems.

One key event repeats, impressively stringing the narrative along while keeping the story fresh.

By offering glimpses of progression through Cruise’s advances in time, Edge of Tomorrow is able to do what all time travel films aspire to.

The battle sequences rival some of the best in recent science fiction cinema. Cruise, along with Blunt, deliver a surprisingly great performance, as they are able to step away from the box that has been constricting them in recent films.

Along with the action, the audience is given a great romantic subplot between Cage and Rita. It’s the romantic comedy Cruise’s career has been yearning for.

The film is a wonderful return to form for Cruise, and the supporting cast’s performance is strong. Bill Paxton, who played one of my favourite characters, did not have nearly enough screen time.

An over-the-top ending to the film is its only downfall. Too much time is spent setting up the climax and it feels rushed. It is satisfying but could have been altered to match the standards set by the rest of the film.

The gruesome battles and quirky dialogue offer a refreshing take on the nonsensical and mediocre science fiction that has been produced in recent years.