Blancanieves
Directed by Pablo Berger
Distributed by Cohen Media Group

Blancanieves is a compelling take on the Brothers Grimm tale of Snow White. Set in 1920s Spain, this black-and-white silent film creates a stunning world from the classic fairy tale. Director Pablo Berger relies on cinematography and music to tell the story with very little use of dialogue cards. The actors take the audience through an emotional journey as we follow this new take on an old tale.

The film begins with a classic romance. The handsome and rich matador, Antonio Villalta (Daniel Giménez Cacho) paces the bullfighting ring and smiles to his gorgeous, pregnant wife in the stands.

In the first tragedy of the film, Villalta’s face-off with the bull ends abruptly as the bull gores him, sending his wife into labour. In the hospital the wife dies in childbirth and Villalta is left a quadriplegic.

With a broken heart and broken body, his newborn daughter Carmencita is left to be raised by her grandmother.

This is where we are introduced to the nurse, Encarna, played by Maribel Verdú. Encarna, seeing the rich matador in his weakened state, gets close to him and the two enter a loveless marriage.

Verdú is easily one of the highlights of the film, portraying the ideal wicked stepmother and adding just the right amount of dark humour.

Years pass and further tragedy strikes when Carmencita’s grandmother dies and she is sent, finally, to live with her father and Encarna. Any expectation of a happy reunion are crushed as Carmencita is forced to live as a maid and is forbidden to see her father.

The rest of the film follows Carmencita’s trials and adventures with the required group of dwarves, taking Snow White’s tale on a ride through Spain, bullfighting along the way.

The fanciful 1920s costumes and matching mise en scène come together to create a beautifully tragic story. Composer Alfonso de Vilallonga creates a score that intertwines itself with the emotions and the scenes.

Compared to the 2011 silent film The Artist, Blancanieves easily holds its own and successfully creates an enjoyable film.