Carleton master's student Melissa Santoro Greyeyes-Brant worked on a film about discussing aboriginal issues in university classrooms that is scheduled to premiere at Carleton Jan. 19 (photo by Yuko Inoue).

The aboriginal and non-aboriginal Carleton community will have the opportunity to kingmagawin, or learn from each other, Jan. 19 with the premiere of the new Carleton focused film Kingmagawin – Aboriginal Issues in the Classroom.

The film features interviews with Carleton students and faculty about the challenges and difficulties of discussing aboriginal issues in post-secondary classrooms, according to filmmaker and Carleton student Melissa Santoro Greyeyes-Brant.

Along with fellow filmmaker Howard Adler, Santoro Greyeyes-Brant interviewed 23 Carleton students and faculty, both aboriginal and non-aboriginal, to reflect on classroom moments where aboriginal issues were discussed.

A master’s student in Canadian studies, Santoro Greyeyes-Brant said she was inspired to make the film from her own experiences.

“In the few years I’ve spent at Carleton, I’ve witnessed aboriginal students drop out of their classes or even their program, just because the climate became unsafe,” she said.

Based on a smaller project done at the University of British Columbia (UBC), Kingmagawin focuses on several main issues encountered by aboriginal and non-aboriginal students and faculty.

“Aboriginal students spoke of feeling tokenized within the classroom,” she said. “People would look towards someone who looked aboriginal to answer questions on anything aboriginal-related. Essentially [they were] singled out to speak on behalf of all aboriginal people,” she said.

But this isn’t to say that aboriginal students don’t have anything of value, she added.

“It’s more the terms on which they are called upon within the class that is a real problem and can cause a lot of anxiety for students,” she said.

Santoro Greyeyes-Brant said non-aboriginal students often have a fear they will look racist when discussing aboriginal issues.

“They talked about a fear of asking questions or inadvertently offending people. So, as a result, a lot of non-aboriginal students would be silent in the classroom, and that’s not really conducive for learning,” she said.

The film features music by Ottawa’s A Tribe Called Red as well as local aboriginal artwork and dancing.

“It was very important for us to showcase the strength and resilience of the aboriginal community both on and off campus here,” Santoro Greyeyes-Brant said.

The film, which is sponsored by Equity Services and the Centre for Aboriginal Culture and Education, will be used as a teaching tool at Carleton.

Santoro Greyeyes-Brant said she has also received numerous requests from high schools and universities across Canada for a copy of the film.

“I think this really demonstrates that there is such a need for this. These are not unique experiences at Carleton,” she said.

“Even outside of the educational institution, you will find these issues and situations happening.”

Santoro Greyeyes-Brant said she hopes this film will change the way aboriginal issues are discussed in the classroom and beyond.

“I think a lot of people are just unaware of how their comments within the classroom affect other people,” she said.

“If we can come to a place of understanding, I think that can make all the difference.”

The film premieres Jan. 19 at 7 p.m. at the Kailash Mital Theatre. Admission is free, but donations will go towards an indigenous counselling service on campus.