The Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team lost to their cross town rivals the University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees on Jan. 10.

The game had an unexpected slow start, which ended with the Ravens ahead 6-4 halfway through the first quarter. The Gee-Gees managed to put together a series or baskets and came out of the quarter ahead 15-14.

The Gee-Gees started off the second quarter with back to back threes giving them a 21-14 lead. The Ravens kept in the game playing physical from the inside which ended the half 34-30.

U of O came out firing in the second half hitting three consecutive threes, giving them a 43-30 lead. The Gee-Gees didn’t stop there as they extended the lead to 18. Three-pointers from Gavin Resch and Thomas Scrubb kept the Ravens in the game ending the quarter 61-46.

The two teams traded baskets at the beginning of the fourth until a Ravens timeout with seven minutes remaining led to a Carleton comeback. Phil Scrubb hit three consecutive three-point shots and a foul. The Ravens found themselves down 66-63 with four minutes remaining.

After the Gee-Gees’ Johnny Berhanemeskel missed a shot, Phil Scrubb tied the game up at 66-66. Berhanemeskel then redeemed himself by scoring a tough shot.

Thomas Scrubb missed a runner coming down the lane which left the game ending at 68-66 for the Gee-Gees.

Phil Scrubb led all scorers with 26 points, and Thomas Scrubb recorded another double-double, finishing with 15 points and 13 rebounds.  Resch (9 points on 66 per cent shooting) and Connor Wood (8 points) were also key for the Ravens’ offense.

Berhanemeskel with 21 points was the top scorer for U of O, while Caleb Agada recorded a double-double, earning 17 points and 10 rebounds.

This loss ends Carleton’s undefeated regular season streak of 49 games, and its first loss of the 2014-15 season.  U of O remains undefeated, and claimed the top spot in the country.