A horde of student zombies rallied against OC Transpo’s proposed U-Pass price increase Oct. 31 at Carleton.

Students dressed as zombies lurched down the Unicentre towards the main bus stop on campus, handing out cards for supporters to write their names, which will eventually be sent to city council.

However, the main message was written all over bloody tombstones, declaring the death of affordable transit and the 117 bus route.

OC Transpo is planning to increase the U-Pass price from $145 to $180 per term, making it the highest price in the country, according to the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA).

This proposal has sparked outrage from CUSA.

“Route changes that occurred on Sept. 4 decreased services for Carleton students who can’t even get onto buses because they are overcrowded,” said CUSA vice-president (student issues) Chantle Beeso, who is advocating for a 2.5 per cent price increase next year, which would make the U-Pass just over $148 per semester.

OC Transpo, however, is not budging on their proposal to increase the price by $40 per term.

“At $180, the U-Pass represents a 27 per cent discount from the old semester pass and achieves revenue neutrality,” said Vincent Patterson, manager of marketing and strategic development for OC Transpo.

“The methodology used . . . was agreed upon by the student associations at both Carleton University and the University of Ottawa. It is the same methodology that is used on a regular basis,” Patterson said.

A recent study released by the student associations at both Carleton and the U of O came to a different conclusion. OC Transpo would actually be making money off students if the price changes were carried out, according to the study.

Although OC Transpo has responded to some parts of the report, they aren’t agreeing on the information collected as to what constitutes a revenue neutral U-Pass, Beeso said.

CUSA will be holding a town hall meeting Nov. 9 to address the issue. The event will focus on issues regarding the U-Pass price increase, route cuts, and overcrowded buses.

Beeso said approximately 3,500 people have already shown support.