Home Arts Festival Blog: The Wiggles

Festival Blog: The Wiggles

329
Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

I am 19-years-old and alone at an outdoor concert. This fact would not have been extraordinary had I been watching any other band play. But alas, this was not just any other band: I was at a Wiggles show.

I arrived 10 minutes late after asking not one, but three, staff members where the check-in tent to pick up my ticket was (“You’re looking for the CHICKEN tent?” asked a confused hired gun).

Eventually, however, I settled into the fringes. J. Cole keeners, bored-looking security guards, and assorted weirdos like myself hung off to the side while The Wiggles sang about fruit salad to a huge crowd of literal babies.

Arguably the biggest names in toddler-core, The Wiggles have been making music for the pre-school set longer than I’ve been alive. On-stage, they were joined by a posse of fellow entertainers that included Officer Beeples, Captain Feathersword, Dorothy the Dinosaur and their dog, who was (obviously) named Wags.

Provided by Emily McQuarrie.
Provided by Emily McQuarrie.

With some of the edge taken off by a $7 beer, I was free to enjoy the stream of educational hits flowing through the speakers: “Apples & Bananas,” “Wheels On The Bus,” “Simon Says,” and the perennial classic, “Big Red Car.” The highlight (read: most absurd moment) of The Wiggles’ set occurred when Captain Feathersword free-styled while Emma, the girl Wiggle, beat-boxed underneath him.

The show ended with an exhaustive medley and many a shimmy, from both performer and crowd alike. The children smiled but I was left feeling hollow. Why did I come here? I thought this would be funny, but instead I just feel uncomfortable.

I saw a toddler cry as his mom carried him away from the stage and I could not help but identify with his tears. You’re feeling bad, little dude? Same here, bud. Same here.