Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

At the age of 24, the endearing and eccentric Canadian musician Mac DeMarco has had vast life changes.

In 2012, he skyrocketed to indie stardom with the release of two albums within months of each other: Rock and Roll Nightclub and 2. April of this year saw the release of his anticipated third album Salad Days which sadly, revealed some roadblocks in his own personal life.

“Passing Out Pieces,” which DeMarco played to an audience who dutifully sang along, explores how taxing life in the public eye can be, and how we often repress it in a bid to not disturb our loved ones.

Since 2012 various fan accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram have been documenting and dissecting DeMarco’s relationship with his girlfriend Keira (also known as Kiki). However, the British Columbia-born musician doesn’t let this scrunity affect his stage antics including multiple personas he acts out in several different accents.

With genuine concern, DeMarco paused after playing “Cooking Up Something Good” and looked down into the crowd.

“You okay over there?” he said, with no hint of his usual irony. “Hope you feel better, person on the ground.”

After security kept an eye on what was likely a small mosh pit that had formed, DeMarco morphed into one of his many signature personas, the American accent of the South which he spoke with a low drawl:

“Bluesfest, baby, feel that energy.”

But this was not the only accent he pulled off. We also heard a cockney salute to the Queen of England, as the band continued a running joke about the sponsor of the festival.

Within the hour that Mac DeMarco and his band were slated to play, 16 songs were covered. Most of Salad Days was played, including the eponymous track “Salad Days,” “Treat Her Better,” “Let Her Go,” “Blue Boy,” “Brother,” and “Chamber of Reflection.”

Absent from the show was DeMarco’s tendency to cover multiple classics from other genres. In December 2012, he played an extensive series of covers that included jazz pianist and composer Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five” and alt-metal band Tool’s “Schism.” This time, it was a half-assed, albeit hilarious fragment of Bob Marley’s “Jammin.’”

When he played his older songs, such as “Freaking Out the Neighbourhood,” there were some notable tweaks, keeping them fresh for both his regular fans and the band. Towards the end of the Yacht Rock-reminiscent number, DeMarco interrupted the airy melody with a piercing shriek.

And this is the DeMarco we know and love. Unpredictable, bold, and full of surprises.