The Brain and Mental Health Art Show is set to take place for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in Lansdowne Park’s Horticulture Building April 8 from 6 to 9 p.m. 

The annual art show, which began in 2010, gives artists and guests the chance to express their feelings and recount their experiences with mental health. 

This year, all proceeds from the art show will benefit the Dave Smith Youth Treatment Centre, a live-in community-based substance use treatment centre for Ontario youth aged 13 to 21. Currently, the treatment centre is working on building a new facility.

Cindy Manor, senior director of philanthropy at the centre, said the centre appreciates the support the show is generating.

“This event can help spread awareness to youth, especially to people at university, that we are a free service and we are here for them,” Manor said. 

Artwork titled ‘Dichotomy’ by Shannon O’Brien-Leblanc. This piece will be featured at the 2022 Brain and Mental Health Art Show. [Photo provided by Micheala Lunn]

The show is organized by the Ottawa chapter of the Society for Neuroscience (SfN), an organization of scientists, physicians, researchers and students who are dedicated to understanding the brain, nervous system and mental health. 

Maja Ramljak, president of the Ottawa chapter of the SfN and a neuroscience graduate student at Carleton, said that anticipation for this show is high after delays by the pandemic.

“SfN has been working hard and anticipating this event for a long time,” Ramljak said. “It is super exciting that we are able to host the art show for the community again.”

Ramljak said the SfN was nervous about not receiving the same amount of art donations or community support as previous years, but she is pleased with the excitement the event has been met with on social media. 

In 2019, the event had more than 700 people attend. Michela Lunn, chair of the Brain and Mental Health Art Show, said organizers are hoping to see similar numbers this year. 

“The art show is such a nice event because of how community-based it is,” Lunn said. “It is meant for the community and can only happen because of community support.”

Artwork by Carolyn Hill. This piece will be featured at the 2022 Brain and Mental Health Art Show. [Photo provided by Micheala Lunn]

This year, SfN is hoping to display a variety of sculptures, mixed media, photographs and paintings created by amateur artists, members of the community, students and members of the SfN. Some works shown at the event will be for sale through either the live or silent auction.

“It has been hard [during the pandemic] for amateur artists and small local artists to have their work seen so it is really exciting to provide a space where members of the public can actually come and view art in person once again,” Ramljak said.

A raffle featuring items donated by local Ottawa businesses will also be held at the event. Some of the raffle items include gift cards for Happy Goat Coffee Co. and Black Squirrel Books and Espresso Bar, as well as two tickets to see the Ottawa Redblacks live in action during their 2022 season. 

The art show will also have a cash bar featuring craft beer donated by Flora Hall Brewery and wine from The Living Vine. 

Artwork by Sari Beattie. This piece will be featured at the 2022 Brain and Mental Health Art Show. [Photo provided by Micheala Lunn]

“[This event] opens a space for people to be able to discuss mental health,” Ramljak said. “It’s also a great place for people to see art made by the community while giving back to a great organization. I’m just hoping people come out and have a fun time.”

Admission to the show costs $10 and can be paid at the door or reserved online prior to the event. Proof of vaccination and masking are mandatory.

Featured image provided by Micheala Lunn.