Fashion is like art. You may not understand a painting or even like it, but a true lover of art will always appreciate the effort behind the brush strokes. 

The same applies to fashion. You might not understand why someone would pierce their nose or wear boots with a funky animal print, but you can appreciate the self-expression. 

In this week’s installment of Fashion Forward, I want to share what goes through my head when I’m building an outfit to go out for the day. While every man has their own fashion mentality, I hope you can appreciate mine and instill some of these ideas into your day-to-day life. 

Situation

First and foremost, consider the situation to make sure your outfit is functional. Are you getting ready for a Zoom coffee date with a friend? Or will you be leaving the house and, you know, actually participating in human interaction? 

On the one hand, a Zoom date requires focusing on your torso. Most likely this means dressing up your top half and leaving your bottom to be comfortable and loose. Human interaction, on the other hand, warrants a more dressed-up, creative approach for the full body. 

Different situations require different style mindsets that vary based on your personality. For the sake of creativity, let’s focus on the latter.

Developing a personalized grooming and styling routine can help improve confidence. [Photo: Provided via Manuel Baechlin]

Grooming

To begin the day, most men simply follow the triple-S rule: Shit, Shower, and Shave. But come on, we’re better than that! Though I’m not going to sit here and tell you what your morning routine should look like, I can suggest some morning tasks that will improve your confidence and help shape your personality.

For my bearded fellas, I would recommend a quick facial grooming lineup. Whether that is with an electric razor, straight razor or your Gillette that you share with your dad. A fast taper of your high cheek and neck hairs will add shape and depth to your facial hair, which accentuates your bone structure and jawline.

Another underrated aspect of your persona is your signature scent. Specifically, I’m referring to your favourite bottles of perfumes and colognes. 

The beauty of fragrances is there are scents for all price points, meaning you can often find the same kind of high-end scent for cheap. Zara, for example, is notorious for creating some very good ‘dupes.’ In particular, Zara’s Aromatic Future is very well-known as a replacement to the most popular fragrance of 2020, Dior Sauvage

Ultimately, your fragrance has to represent the true you. I find myself wearing Paco Rabanne’s Invictus Eau De Toilette as it is loud and bubbly—like me. In terms of application, the key is to spray the scent on your pulse points, such as your neck and wrists. I would recommend at least two sprays, one behind each ear, followed by as many more as you see fit. But remember: a passerby should not be able to smell your fragrance unless they are within two feet from you! 

Accessories can make or break an outfit. [Photo: Provided via Manuel Baechlin]

Sneakers

For me, shoes either establish or complete my outfits. Before Ottawa decided to pour inches and inches of snow on our poor streets, I was obsessed with solid white or black sneakers. Naturally, Nike Air Force 1 or Cortez were concluding my outfits due to their easy wearability.

On the other hand, there are some sneakers that warrant the outfit to be built around them. In mid-June last year, Nike collaborated with Japanese streetwear brand Undercover. The pair has produced seven different colourways since then, with the “Citron” colourway finding itself in my closet. 

These sneakers are out there. Let’s admit it. They’re canary yellow and have a spike on the back that could do damage to any wall I stand too close to. Sneakers as attention-grabbing as these will dictate your outfit. In the past, I have focused on wearing solid hues when I’m stepping out with my Citrons, as this allows the sneaker to tell the whole story of the outfit. 

Jewellery

Jewellery is underrated. The right chain, ring or bracelet can elevate a Uniqlo outfit to a runway-ready look. If your budget only allows for one of the three, I would recommend a necklace. 

I’m about to let you all in on a little secret. Montréal-based company Ssense has a biannual sale that features up to 70 per cent off on most of last-season’s items. Personally, I abuse my bank account around those times of the year, grabbing a lot of designer jewellery and clothing for fractions of the retail price. 

The rest

You’re free! I can’t really give you any more advice because, well, it’s up to you. Your outfit defines you and your interests, and you and your interests define your outfit. At this point, you need to take an extensive look into your closet and piece together your ensemble. If you follow the above steps, you’ll already look stunning, smell bewilderingly good and have a strong base to build your look around.

Featured image provided via Manuel Baechlin.