Sequined dinner pants and a fitted blazer with faux-fur accents dotted the runway for Rachel Sin’s collection showcase at Ottawa Fashion Week Feb. 18.
Her collection combines the “strength and vulnerability” of structured pieces and rich texture, according to a press release.. The collection is reminiscent of Penelope Cruz and the female protagonists she portrays in films by Spanish director  Pedro Almodóvar’s films, according to a press release.
Sin, a fashion designer, studied architecture at Carleton. She spoke to the Charlatan’s Laura Kell about her inspiration, her studies in architecture and the identity of the quintessential “Rachel Sin” girl in an email interivew.
The Charlatan (TC): Growing up, were you always interested in fashion?
Rachel Sin (RS): I’m one of those ‘want to do it all’ people. Fashion design is another channel for creative release. It was something that I always wanted to pursue, but did not think I had to go to school to study. I took sewing classes while completing my master’s in architecture at Carleton University.
TC: Who is the quintessential “Rachel Sin” girl you design for?

RS: The independent working woman inspires me, because this is who I am and what I love to see in other women. I love seeing strong women who take pride in what they wear and use their wardrobe as an extension of their confidence, originality and personal style.
TC: Did you ever encounter any challenges in the process of turning your “creative release” into a successful fashion line?
RS: Designing a collection comes naturally and is the part I enjoy most. It is the business side that is challenging and I am thankful to my career in architecture that has instilled a high level of professionalism and the ability to market a product properly.
TC: Does having a background in architecture influence your designing process when it comes to creating upcoming collections or new pieces?

RS: Studying architecture has taught me the basis of good design. To understand good design and to make something well-designed is a rigorous process. I always say, I do not think I would have been as good of a fashion designer if I did not study architecture. Architecture is the basis of design. You study balance, proportion, symmetry, choosing the right material — all of which can be applied to fashion design. I think it is because of my background in architecture that sets me apart from other fashion designers.
TC: If you could give one piece of advice to young people trying to make it in the fashion industry, what would it be?

RS: Work hard and you definitely have to be passionate about what you do. Being a fashion designer is one of the toughest jobs; creating a successful clothing label is even harder. No one becomes successful overnight. By the time you hear about any new talented artist, they have been working hard and perfecting what they do for a very long time.