Falldown Gallery threw a party entitled Truth or Dare, A Basement Party VOL. 1 with DJ George Thoms and DJ brains4brkfst Sept. 16.

Basement Party is an underground place where people can just dance, meet people, have fun, talk and chill with homies. It’s just another alternative venue for Ottawa,” gallery owner Robbie Lariviere said.

Falldown Gallery’s basement calls to mind the renowned New York music club CBGB’s with its walls covered in ink. People are encouraged to tag the wall with their own graffiti signature. The walls have become art pieces themselves representing the variety of talent in Canada.

“People shoot music videos down there, photo shoots, pretty much whatever they want,” he said.

“It’s all local artists mostly that have been tagging downstairs throughout all the parties we’ve thrown from this year.”

The wall showcases big names from major cities such as Vancouver, Montreal and in the case of DJ brains4brkfst, Toronto. Brains was in town to play for the Grillz & Glam party at Babylon Nightclub.

“George, the other DJ who is a good friend of mine, is in town with me once a month for a party we throw called Grillz & Glam. And then he was like, ‘why don’t you stay an extra day and play this party at Falldown. I’ve been a long time big fan of Falldown so I was like ‘fuck yes!’” DJ brains4brkfst said.

DJ George Thoms and DJ brains4brkfst mashed up old rap tracks from Jay Z’s “Hard Knock Life” to newer remixes like Fat Joe’s “Make It Rain.”

When asked what Brains was known for, he chimed, “for being the handsomest DJ ever.” He then proceeded to say “I like to mash up everything, old school hip hop, Motown, dubstep, long time ago rock and roll.”

The party was interactive as owner Lariviere skateboarded in between dancers and DJs jamming in a tag-team fashion.  Lights bounced off the basement walls in grid-like patterns as people partied in the rave-like space.

“Seems like there’s cool people. There’s cool music,” third-year Carleton environmental engineering student Narek Martiroysan said.

I’m enjoying it, there’s cool graphics on the walls so that’s keeping me entertained,” he said.

Lariviere has been set up on Bank Street for over a year and is doing well for a newer business.

“We’re seeing more walk-by traffic and more people just appreciating the fact that we’re not only a venue but we’re retail and now we’re making our own shirts in-house,” Lariviere said.

“I like Robbie. He seems like he’s real, he seems like he knows what’s good. He’s raw, legit and just getting started” Martiroysan said.

DJ brains4brkfst also enjoys the gallery’s atmosphere and mission.

“It s a rad space, clothing and art-wise and the basement is just anarchy. It’s just like write wherever you want and hangout. I feel that parties like this will take off,” he said.