Carleton University president Benoit-Antoine Bacon announced today that the university is planning for a gradual return to in-campus learning this fall.

Large classes are set to continue online for the fall 2021 term, but Bacon said “a significant proportion” of smaller classes, tutorials and labs may be available in-person or through blended delivery—a mix of in-person and online learning.

In an email sent to students at 9:35 a.m. this morning, Bacon said while a gradual return to campus is the most likely scenario, plans are still subject to change from evolving public health COVID-19 guidelines.

“Should epidemiological data, vaccination rates and public health recommendations all go in the right direction, we will be ready for a significant return to our beautiful campus,” Bacon said.

As COVID-19-related travel restrictions and new virus variants continue to disrupt everyday life, the president said the course and delivery program for the return to campus will offer “maximum flexibility for students.”

Bacon did not state how flexibility will be ensured, but added more specific logistic information and fall timetable development will be shared “as the situation continues to evolve.”

The announcement comes in light of other Canadian universities going public with plans for the fall. 

McGill University announced it would return to in-person learning in the fall a week ago, along with Western University, which announced its return to campus in the fall four days ago. St. Thomas University and the University of Alberta recently announced plans for blended course delivery for the fall, similar to Carleton.

“We deeply share our colleagues’ desire to gather in person again and, like them, we also recognize that there are still many open questions at this time,” Bacon said.

Upcoming summer course delivery is still set to take place online.