Daniel Alfredsson came to the Ice House to practice with the Ravens this week (Photo by Farhan Devji)

With the NHL lockout now in its 75th day, Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and a few of his teammates have been skating with the Carleton Ravens at the Ice House off and on since mid-November. Although the rest of the Senators returned to the Bell Sensplex on Wednesday, Alfredsson stayed behind. The Charlatan’s Farhan Devji sat down with him after Thursday’s practice.

The Charlatan (TC): You have been practicing at Carleton for a few weeks now. Why the change of scenery? What brought you guys here?

Daniel Alfredsson (DA): Good practices. We’re probably only six or seven guys left that are practicing. To get a chance to be in this environment is a lot more fun and more productive for us as well. And I think we can help out with raising the pace a little bit.

TC: I know these are just practices, but what are your thoughts on the level of play with these guys?

DA: It’s been really good. I’m impressed especially with the work ethic and professionalism that they’ve shown. They have long days in school as well – not just hockey. It’s been a lot of fun for me to see. They work really hard and they have a goal in mind, which is fun to watch.

TC: Did you know much about Carleton or the Ravens before these practices?

DA: Well, I’ve been a couple of times. I did a ceremonial puck drop one game and I know “Vanner” obviously playing with him for a few years. But I can’t say I know much about the players.

TC: Speaking of Shaun Van Allen, what’s it like taking orders and instructions from him?

DA: There’s no change, I did the same when he was playing. Nothing’s changed.

TC: Being here at Carleton, I know it’s a balance because you want to practice but at the same time you want to teach these guys some things. How do you deal with that?

DA: I just try to melt in, give them some hints here and there maybe. I think they watch what I do and pick up stuff from that. These are guys that have played hockey for a long time. They know what they’re good at and what they need to improve on. I can give a few hints here and there, which I really enjoy doing.

TC: Earlier in the year, you were only practicing a few times a week. This is now your fourth straight ice time this week at Carleton. What’s the reasoning behind that?

DA: Just because it’s more fun, too. I played in a charity game in Atlantic City on Saturday, which brought a little more joy back for the game of hockey, I guess. I practiced here on Monday and I thought it was a lot of fun. So I came back every day.

TC: As for the NHL lockout, how frustrating is it not to be playing hockey at this time of the year?

DA: It is and it isn’t. I have a busy life outside hockey obviously with four kids. I enjoy that time as well. When you play charity games like I did or when you’re in an environment like this with a team . . . we love the game. If I retired, I would still enjoy coming out on the ice. That’s when you miss it. That’s when it’s a little bit harder. I know it’s a process; I think it’s an unfortunate process but we are where we are and until we get a deal, we’ve got to make the most of it.

TC: Is there hope among the players that mediation could help?

DA: I don’t know. I haven’t heard what happened yesterday. I think it doesn’t hurt. I’m also not sure what level of engagement they can manage to accomplish between the two of us. I don’t know. It doesn’t hurt to get another view and I’m sure they can helpful in some areas and maybe get something going.