The Institute of European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (EURUS) hosted a research showcase on March 20 as an opportunity for current and former students, as well as faculty, to learn about each other’s work from the past year.

The showcase featured a total of 11 presentations from faculty and former students of the department talking about their completed research projects from the last year. Each faculty member was given time to present their most recent and upcoming projects to the room, followed by a short question and answer period.

One presentation was by Joan DeBardeleben, a professor in the EURUS department, who presented her research on relations between the European Union and Russia.  

The other presentations, done by four graduates and one current student of the program, were done with presenters standing beside posters about their projects and answering questions from participants as they came by.

The research showcase was inspired by a similar event run by the political science department at Carleton, according to Achim Hurrelmann, the director of the Institute of European, Russian and Eurasian Studies.

Although the showcase was open to anyone, it was held mainly for the benefit of current and former students, as well as faculty, he said. The goal of the research showcase is to educate students and professors about the work of other professors and graduates of the program.

“I think the main idea is that this is an internal event, so I’m not thinking of this as a mass event because it’s mainly to keep each other informed about what we are doing,” Hurrelman said.

Cathleen Schmidt, the project manager for European Studies, helped organize the event, and said she would like to expand the showcase to include more projects of current students in the future.