"CETA is the most comprehensive trade agreement which we have ever negotiated, except with neighbouring countries," said EU ambassador Matthias Brinkmann. (Photo by Shamit Tushakiran)

The European Union’s ambassador to Canada spoke at Carleton Nov. 13 about the negotiations between Canada and the EU over a proposed free trade agreement.

EU ambassador Matthias Brinkmann was the most recent addition to the ongoing Ambassador Speakers Series put on by Carleton’s Norman Paterson School of International Affairs (NPSIA) and the Ottawa Diplomatic Association.

According to Brinkmann, Canada and the EU are currently engaged in the negotiations of a proposed free trade and copyright agreement called the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).

“CETA is the most comprehensive trade agreement which we have ever negotiated, except with neighbouring countries,” Brinkmann said.

CETA is Canada’s largest bilateral initiative since NAFTA, according to Brinkmann.

Until this point, Brinkmann said the EU has been reluctant to negotiate a free trade agreement with Canada due to their pre-existing trade agreement, the Doha Development Round (DDR) and the difficulty of finding a consensus among ten provinces.

According to Brinkman, the DDR has proved ineffectual for parties involved. The DDR is a World Trade Organization-sponsored trade negotiation body. This in combination with Canada’s interest in an agreement initiated discussions.

“We have been impressed with the level of ambition on the Canadian side, so we go much further than just elimination of customs duties. We include investment protection,” Brinkmann said.

According to Brinkmann, negotiations between the EU, which is comprised of 27 member countries and a population of nearly 500 million, and Canada began in May 2009, and will improve relations and the economies of both parties involved.

A study conducted by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada indicates that CETA could enhance Canada’s gross domestic product by $12 billion each year and increase bilateral trade by 20 per cent.

Karel Zebrakovsky, ambassador of the Czech Republic to Canada, said he believes the EU and Canada reaching an agreement would be a positive development.

“Canada is a lucky country, but more can be achieved. Being a member of the bigger community is definitely advantageous,” Zebrakovsky said.

Brinkmann said he hopes CETA negotiations will be complete by the end of the year and its provisions can be implanted as quickly as possible.

Taylor Bentley, a first-year graduate student at NPSIA, said attending the ambassador’s speech was an opportunity he is glad he took advantage of.

“The tone was refreshingly optimistic,” Bentley said.

Sarah Walsh, a first-year political science student said she found Brinkmann’s discussion to be relevant to Canadians at this time and said that the Ambassador Speaks Series is a fantastic concept.

“It takes Canada’s international relationships from out of the embassies and news to right before our eyes. It gives us face-to-face interaction with the people who shape policy,” Walsh said.