Carleton’s International Relations Society (CIRS) faced backlash over their recent visit to the Chinese embassy on Nov. 28, following comments on their registration form which were seen as censorship.

But Alexander Waworuntu, CIRS President, said the comments were to encourage students to research those topics prior to the visit. 

“There’s been a really big misconception of what’s going on,” he said, referencing an article published in the Globe and Mail on Nov. 19.

The disclaimer on their form warns the members to “be aware of the sensitivity of key issues” such as the Hong Kong protests, Taiwan, the Uyghurs and the South China Sea. 

“At CIRS, we’ve been saying for years that we want to make sure that our students try their best to come prepared for a visit—just researching what they can, coming prepared to be part of the discussion, as well as [to] be respectful to the hosts that are receiving us.” — Alexander Waworuntu, CIRS President. 

“We do not hold that sentiment [to not ask questions]. Nowhere in the form says that we don’t want people to bring it up, we want people to be aware of these issues,” Waworuntu added. 

The society’s visit to the embassy is part of their efforts to immerse students in the world of international relations outside of the classroom. 

“We organize student visits with embassies so we can bring students to the embassies and they can actually sit down with diplomats and hear their perspectives on issues,” said Waworuntu.

Jaron Chalier, a global and international studies student and CIRS member, said students regularly discuss difficult topics when visiting embassies, such as a past discussion of colonization with the British High Commission. 

Chalier added at the Chinese embassy visit, students talked about a number of “difficult topics,” including some that were mentioned on the form.  

“We asked them about Xinjiang and we brought up Hong Kong, we also talked about trade, relations to Canada and the U.S., we brought up North Korea a bit. We had all those conversations.” — Jaron Chalier, CIRS member

“Of course, their views were different from what we might learn in class, but that was the whole point.”

Waworunto said the society encourages students to ask “anything they want,” as long as they ask it respectfully.

“In my personal opinion, the only way international relations can go smoothly is if you understand each other,” said Chalier. 

“Contrary to [the beliefs of] other people who were judging us for going, as opposed to shutting yourself out and maybe shouting from afar, why not actually be in the room to discuss it?”

Visiting embassies gives students the chance to ask difficult questions they might not be able to ask otherwise, said Stephen Saideman, Paterson Chair in international affairs at Carleton. 

“Nobody should be telling students not to ask critical questions because the whole idea when you go to an embassy or a function like that it is not just to get the propaganda, but for the students to actually get answers to their questions.” — Stephen Saideman, Paterson Chair in international affairs

“They can read about propaganda on the Chinese embassy’s website. This is a chance for them to display the critical minds that they’re supposed to be sharpening at Carleton,” Saideman added. 

“We brought up difficult stuff, it’s just how you ask the question,” said Chalier. 

“That’s the difference between diplomacy and censorship—we’re not blocking ourselves from saying stuff, we’re saying it in a proper way so that there can actually be a dialogue.” 

Featured image by Saarah Rasheed