As part of their 2016-17 campaign promises, the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) executive told students they would replace the Mac Daddy’s franchise in Oasis with a Burrito Shack.

Now, with a new RRRA executive set to take over in the summer, led by incumbent president Hyder Naqvi, there have been no changes made to the food options in Oasis.

Nonetheless, Naqvi’s new Next Step slate still promised students during the February 2017 election that they would replace the Mac Daddy’s—although it is now unclear what other option they would bring in.

Replacing the Mac Daddy’s is not as simple as it sounds, as the decision to replace a franchise is not up to RRRA.

Carleton’s food services are tied to Aramark, which determines the franchises on campus based on contracts it has with them. Other factors, such as specific regulations on the part of the franchises, also play a role.

RRRA should have considered the feasibility of actually replacing a franchise on campus before making (and then recycling) this promise to students.

If RRRA is able to replace the Mac Daddy’s, they should do so with a healthier food option. The only healthy choices near residence can be found in the cafeteria, which closes at 10 p.m. Instead of forcing students to go for carb-heavy fast food options, adding a fresh choice—such as a salad bar—would offer some variety to residence students.