In the midst of the financial turmoil brought on by COVID-19, it’s time to stop gatekeeping employment opportunities via classist unpaid internships. The federal government must provide grants targeted at paid youth internships as part of its economic recovery. 

It is no secret the pandemic has exacerbated the systemic financial inequalities within Canada’s economic systems. Though certain demographics of Canadians (lone mothers, recent immigrants, Indigenous people and young, less educated families in particular) were already struggling financially, a 2020 Statistics Canada study found these groups in particular have faced an unequal level of poverty and unemployment in the past year.

Not having the finances necessary to participate in unpaid internships can be detrimental to professional development, as internships often pave the road to securing employment in many industries that expect some kind of work experience upon graduation.

Furthermore, some post-secondary programs require the completion of internships in order to graduate. While most programs do not stipulate that the internship must be unpaid, paid opportunities are harder to secure as COVID-19 is making it difficult for some employers to pay their own staff

If a small business or nonprofit can’t even afford to keep its full-time staff, what makes universities and prospective employers believe they’ll be willing to hire on an entry-level intern? And if these internships remain as costly and as necessary to complete as they are now, how will Canada’s most vulnerable populations relieve themselves of the financial consequences thrust upon them by the pandemic?

Since many universities, colleges and employers are not equipped to provide these opportunities free of charge to students who need them, the onus should be on the government to provide grants targeted at youth internships. This should be an integral part of its economic recovery, like the Liberals promised to do before the party’s WE scandal). Investing in the country’s workforce should be the mandate of the federal government, not struggling businesses.

The government’s failure to provide grants for paid youth internships will result in the exclusion of talented, hardworking and intelligent individuals from the workforce—all because some young people were born into financial inequalities that systemically disqualify them from these career-building opportunities.

Featured graphic from file.