Carleton University aims to have the most accessible campus in North America, according to its website. The Paul Menton Centre (PMC) is heralded for its work with disability support services at Carleton.

Despite this, it seems like Carleton’s commitment to accessibility is forgotten as soon as ground is broken on a new construction project. With the new fare gates going in at Carleton’s O-Train stop, almost the entire area has been fenced off, including the area that someone in a wheelchair would normally use to access the platform. A narrow pavement strip has been laid down to access the stop, which must be used by everyone, including wheelchair users, but is hardly wide enough for two people to walk shoulder-to-shoulder.

During the summer when renovations were being made to the pathway outside the library, the ramp down to Southam Hall was closed off and people had to go through Patterson Hall, down a flight of stairs, and over a hill to get to class. It was a major inconvenience, but even more so for people with mobility impairments. Dealing with elevators and hills can present a major problem to people who must rely on a wheelchair, walker, or have other difficulties navigating campus.

All construction projects need to take into account people with mobility disabilities, especially on a campus that strives to be fully accessible such as Carleton’s.

When areas or normal routes to buildings have to be closed off for construction, proper consideration needs to be taken to make sure nobody is unreasonably inconvenienced, especially people using wheelchairs.