Education is at the core of all systemic issues. The way our society works, the collective opinions, customs, and laws that we create are defined by what we learn in school. As a result, what we teach our children and youth has a profound impact on the way our society functions. 

Today, we see the impacts of both misinformation and education play out in the way people behave. Where injustices occur, we see the impact of misinformation that produces racism and hate. Where people stand up for what is right, we see the positive impact of education and learning. That’s exactly why Carleton University must do more to address racism in its community. 

This week we have seen a plethora of allegations from students about racist experiences on campus. From racially charged comments and behaviour by professors to tokenism on sports teams, it is clear that a culture of racism still exists on campus. 

Carleton University needs to do more to educate staff and students about racism and systemic oppression. More than just promises, Carleton University needs to take action. In many programs, especially in arts pathways, students have mandatory political science or history requirements to complete their education. In many of these courses, curriculums perpetuate the idolization of euro-centric views and lack diversity. In others, Canada’s historic moments of oppression are left out of discussions or dismissively bypassed. 

Instead of requiring compulsory courses that simply re-phrase our high-school history textbooks, which in general, lack any depth in addressing Canada’s histories of oppression, faculty and students should be required to take a course on inclusivity and anti-racism. Not only would a course like this serve to improve student experiences on campus, but it would help educate our next generation to consciously dismantle systems of oppression that thrive in Canada today.

Carleton University, as an educational institution, you are responsible for empowering the ideas of students who represent our future. You need to do more to ensure every student thrives. Regardless of class, gender, sexual orientation or the colour of one’s skin, the onus is on you to empower every student so that every one of their voices is heard. We need change, and it starts with educating the future leaders of our world.