For Carleton University students pursuing a career in the arts, the university provides little to no support when transitioning between education and the industry. There are few programs and facilities within Carleton designated for art-driven students and the university must do more to fill this gap.

Other programs within Carleton provide a plethora of resources to help students establish themselves in their respective industries.  

The Department of Biology, for example, offers a co-op program where students are paid to work in the industry while pursuing their degree. The university has partnered with institutions such as government laboratories and museums to help students network and gain work experience. 

On the other hand, Carleton’s School for Studies in Art and Culture does not have these resources in place. While they do have a practicum program, these opportunities are not available to everyone. Rather, according to the school’s website, the school “only selects its top students for Practica placements.”

Why is industry experience a necessity in fields such as science and business, but a coveted and rare opportunity in the arts?

Considering this lack of support, the university makes it seem like a career in the arts is unfeasible and unrealistic.

Ottawa is flourishing with opportunities for artists at locations such as the National Gallery of Canada, the National Arts Centre and its countless live music venues. The University should partner with these institutions to grant its students the best opportunities and to set them up for success.

Pursuing a career in the arts is a pipe dream for many people. However, with support from university institutions, these careers could be more accessible and better supported. 

Carleton needs to put resources such as accessible co-op programs in place to help art students establish themselves in the industry. The school is not currently doing enough to support these students to turn their passions into a career.

Feature graphic from file