While Remembrance Day is about remembering the soldiers who lost their lives and fought for our freedom, some lives are often forgotten.

African, Asian, Caribbean, and Indigenous people in Canada fought in the First and Second World Wars, but their sacrifices are often overlooked or overshadowed by soldiers of European decent.

Now, a photographic exhibition presented at the Canadian War Museum by the Embassy of Belgium in Ottawa is paying tribute to labourers and soldiers who contributed to the war effort on European soil.

This shows that there is a need for education and awareness about the diversity of soldiers. In a time when racialized people are persecuted and are becoming a tool for fear-mongering, it’s important to remind Canadians that many of these people have sacrificed their lives for them and contributing to building their country.

Education about the diversity of the soldiers who have fought and are still fighting to keep them safe should become more of a priority for Canadian society.

Racialized people are only mentioned when it comes to reconciliation, immigration, and asylum-seeking. It’s important to recognize that they’ve played an essential role in protecting and building Canada to what it is today.