This story contains details and images viewers may find disturbing. Those seeking emotional support and crisis referral services can call the 24-hour National Indian Residential School Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419.

Canada Day should no longer be a day of celebration but rather a day of reflection on the past and current experiences of Indigenous communities. 

Many Indigenous leaders and community members are calling for action on July 1 after the discovery of several unmarked burial sites at former residential schools across the country. Canadians should heed these calls.

Instead of setting off fireworks, some activist groups are asking supporters to recognize the land they live on, educate themselves on reconciliation and take action to show solidarity with Indigenous peoples.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by ON CANADA PROJECT (@oncanadaproject)

For nearly 153 years, Canada has been celebrated by the settlers who colonized it, with minimal recognition of the Indigenous peoples who have been displaced or killed. The discovery of unmarked burial sites highlights that human rights injustices have been perpetrated towards Indigenous peoples for years and it is time that Canadians recognize that fact.

Instead of celebrating the colonial actions of those who settled on this land, Canadians must acknowledge the harm that has been done and take steps to make it right.

Until Canadians take action, Indigenous communities will continue to face systemic discrimination. Indigenous peoples in Canada continue to face food insecurity, mental illness and poverty disproportionately to other communities in the country. Indigenous land continues to be seized by the government and used for profit. Without action, this systemic colonial oppression will continue.

Canadians cannot afford to continue celebrating a country’s history without increased efforts towards reconciliation. Canadians cannot celebrate Canada without first acknowledging and attempting to reconcile the damage this country has done; to do otherwise would be to celebrate genocide.

Featured graphic from file.