Despite heightened emotions after controversial news is released, responding with hate is never the answer.

After allegations of violations of the Rideau River Residence Association’s (RRRA) electoral code were published in the Charlatan, incoming Forward slate president Jaden Slawter reported several hateful messages online targeted towards him shortly after.

An investigation into the alleged infractions concluded last week. The RRRA constitutional board ruled the allegations were inadmissible and the Forward slate would maintain their win in the 2020 RRRA election. 

Regardless of the investigation’s findings, hate against any individual for a bureaucratic infraction is uncalled for and inappropriate.

Students should be able to participate in debates and share substantiated opinions in a respectful way. Critical thinking is a cornerstone of the democratic process. Personal attacks are different. Hate undermines the potential for meaningful public discourse.

Systemic factors such as biases or conflicts of interest within investigatory bodies allow for unfair investigations. These should be the target of the public’s frustration, not an individual. 

News agencies are intended to work as checks on authority. The news is not a space to air personal grievances or vendettas, nor is it a place to incite hate. 

Allegations are published to inform the public of potential wrongdoings so that they may be dealt with under the public eye and ensure accountability to the students who executives serve. They are not intended to single out any one individual or subject them to hate.

These allegations of misconduct should be dealt with through appropriate channels, including review by the electoral office. The appropriate channels do not include sending hateful messages to alleged malefactors online. The messages accomplish nothing and act as an extreme response to an allegation that has not yet been investigated by the electoral body.