(Photo by Megan Stacey)

Most of us own a pair of pants that remain scrunched up in a dingy corner of our closets. The uncomfortable ones you promised yourself you would endure for one of your shorter classes or for one shift at work. Or the dated ones, that perhaps aren’t as cool as you thought they were two years ago.

If any of the above sounds familiar, there is hope! Here are six easy steps to spice up some boring pants.

What you’ll need:

Old pants
Some sort of cool material (used to embellish the pants)
Scissors
Sewing kit
Sharpie

1.) Start by folding up the hem of your jeans. Then lay the cuffs of your pants on a flat surface. Cut a piece from your chosen material—enough to sew around the whole cuff and then some. Give yourself some extra material to work with otherwise things get fiddly.

2.) Fold the material around one your cuffs, stitching as you go. Sew two rows—one to secure the top of the cuff, and the other around the bottom.

3.) Do the same to the other leg.

This might be good enough, but I just couldn’t let the other half of my beloved velvet leopard print shorts go to waste—just kidding, they should never have found their way into my closet. So I decided to decorate one of the back pockets.

4.) Place your material over one of the back pockets, with the good side of the material facing down. Grab your Sharpie and trace the shape of the pockets. Be careful if you have light material, a pencil or light coloured pen might be safer to use—unless you want Sharpie marks all over your bum.

5.) Cut the shape out, or two if you want to do both pockets. Then fold it around the pockets of your pants, using a few pins to keep the material in place.

6.) Sew around the outside, be careful not to sew your pockets shut!

There you have it! An easy-peasy way to jazz up some old jeans.

—@meg_mcclean