Photos by Haley Ritchie

Finding inexpensive ways to customize your living space can be hard on a student budget. Whether you’re still living with your parents or in a white-washed rental apartment, this is an easy DIY job that will add flair to a space. And you can take it with you when you move!

What you’ll need:

–       Pencil
–       Paint brush, paint, or permanent markers.
–       Ruler
–       Switch plates
–       Paint
–       Screwdriver

oPlug_HaleyRitchie_(WEB)

1. The first thing you want to do is buy some switch plates, which you can purchase at any hardware store for less than $2. Getting white plastic plates is cheaper and works well for this project. Give them a base coat in any colour you like.

oPlug_HaleyRitchie-1_(WEB)

2. Now draw a pattern onto the switch plate with a pencil. Since the plates are tiny canvasses with large holes in the middle, you’re best to plan out something simple. Here I created a black and white geometrical pattern. You can skip this step and paint free hand if you’d like.

oPlug_HaleyRitchie-3_(WEB)

3. Using a very small paintbrush, begin painting onto the switch plate. You can also use coloured Sharpies or other permanent markers. This is one DIY project where you don’t have to worry that much about imperfections. It’s going to look hand painted anyway.

oPlug_HaleyRitchie-4_(WEB)

4. How you want the plate to look is up to you! Whether it’s simple stripes or something more intricate like painted flowers, it’s going to look way better than plain white plates. There is also the option of découpaging fabric or paper to the plate.

oPlug_HaleyRitchie-5_(WEB)

5. When your masterpiece has finished drying it’s time to put it into action. Use a screwdriver to remove the old switch plates from the wall. You may as well put them away somewhere safe so you can put them back on later and take your hand-painted ones with you if you move. Line your new switch plate up with the wall and screw it back in.

—@hyritchie