(Photos by Paige Mueller)

This is the perfect DIY project to kick off the new school year! Not only is this little project great for keeping you organized, it is also a trendy piece of decor and relatively easy to make.

What you’ll need:

Acrylic paint, in whatever colour you would prefer
Unsanded grout, preferably white (you can buy this at any hardware store)
Surface to paint, like canvas or wood
Mixing cups and spoons
Paint brush
Measuring cups and spoons
Chalk

oBlog6_PaigeMueller-3_(WEB)

oBlog6_PaigeMueller_(WEB)oBlog6_PaigeMueller-2_(WEB)1.) To get this project started you will need to gauge how much paint the project will take, depending on the surface you plan on painting. I used one 60mL bottle of acrylic paint which got me two layers of paint on two 10 inch by 10 inch canvases. There was some paint to spare.

oBlog6_PaigeMueller-6_(WEB)2.) Pour your paint into the mixing cups and add one tablespoon of the unsanded grout. Try to buy white grout so that it does not distort the colour of your paint. Use the spoon to mix the grout into the paint until all the lumps have disappeared. If you get white streaks in your paint when you start applying it,  it needs to be mixed more.

3.) Apply the paint to your surface. I had some extra paint so I did two layers on my canvases, which worked out really well. It is best to do this project all in one shot because the paint will harden not long after it is mixed.

4.) After the paint has dried completely, prepare the painted surface by taking a piece of chalk and lightly rub it all over the paint. Next, take a paper towel and very gently wipe most of the excess chalk off. You are now ready to use your own DIY chalkboard!

—@gingymueller