Urban Legends hosted a poetry slam at LIVE! on Elgin on Nov. 3. The night began with an open mic session, followed by two rounds of slam poetry. Several artists performed, including headliner Satinka Schilling.

Schilling’s achievements consist of being a four-time Lanark County Live Poets’ Society (LiPS) team member, three-time Canadian Festival of Spoken Word competitor, 2011 Slam Champion of LiPS, and first place in the Ontario Inferno Youth Slam.

Schilling writes her poems about growth through art and expression, and outlines her journey while coping with her own personal struggles.

These subjects are a common theme through much of the local poetry, according to Aly Elgayar, a member of the 2015 Urban Legends team.

Elgayar explained the positive environment the poetry slam creates as being conducive to personal expression.

“Slam poetry is a safe space for poets to throw down their truths in the form of a competition. Ultimately, the points don’t really matter, but the messages that are discoursed are,” Elgayar said.

Director of Urban Legends Khaleefa Jubber, who goes by “Apollo The Child” in the poetry scene, explained how these performances create a relationship with the audience.

“There’s a difference between spoken word and slam. I tell the students in the workshops I lead that spoken word is the art, and slams are the rap battles of poetry . . . My favourite aspect is the connection made with the audience and also conquering the fear that comes with public speaking,” Jubber said.

Mohab Ahb, a professional beatboxer who performed at the event’s open mic, explained the environment at Urban Legends as a good place to grow as an artist because it is a safe space.

“I really enjoy the atmosphere at Urban Legends. It’s structured while still being relaxed and welcoming. The space and the people are all very wholesome. The latter is very important because many of the topics expressed through spoken word are very taboo and sensitive,” Ahb said.

According to Elgayar, the environment is also a good social space where artists come to share their work, which creates close relationships, making it a positive community.

“I’m super close with my poetry teammates, with the regulars in the scene. Sometimes I don’t really need to know someone personally because I develop a special bond with every single poet that performs and exposes their truth in the gladiator circle, or with the audience snapping away to the same lines I’m snapping to,” Elgayar said.

The atmosphere at Urban Legends’ bi-weekly poetry slams is very close-knit and inclusive. This event in particular was thriving with personal growth as a theme within many poets’ works.

Jubber described the community as a family atmosphere where everyone is welcome. Having been a part of the slam scene for seven years, and director of Urban Legends for two years, he feels a deep connection with the art.

“I’ve made quite a bit [of special bonds], especially with the poets I’ve been fortunate enough to be on a team with. Urban Legends, we are a family, whether you are there to partake or watch,” Jubber said.