Seon Park spoke to John O'Regan of Diamond Rings about self-expression, bullying, and individuality. (Photo provided)

Toronto-based musician John O’Regan, best known by his stage name Diamond Rings, is a shining gem in the electro-pop music world today.

Just more than a year-and-a-half since his full length debut album in the summer of 2011, the synth-pop maestro returned with his second album Free Dimensional.

Exclaim! calls it “past its ’80s clam-pop melodies into a new era of electronic music that’s still shimmering with boisterous pop, but introduces new dimensions into its already packed bags of tricks, including a rap verse or two.”

Yet, this 27-year-old artist’s music is not limited to one physical sense, but extends to visual artistic presentation to be fully appreciated along with the messages it carries.

With rainbow colourings, powerful colour makeups, white sunglasses and androgynous fashion, O’Regan is fearless in portraying his definition of music.

“My definition of music is self-expression, connectivity with not only myself, but with the world. It is a communication with incredible capacity. It has been around for a long time in every culture, bringing people together in sense of who they are and to any individuals.”

“I am trying to be who I am, express my insecurities I had, transcend boundaries, and hopefully [the audience] become comfortable with who they are too.”

Becoming a musician was not always that O’Regan dreamed of.

“As a child, I never really imagined to be a musician,” Diamond Rings said.

“But I always fascinated creation, world building. I liked playing on my own, imagining and creating. And what I do today is similar — utilizing that creative sensitivity, creating something bigger than ourself.”

How he became a musician is simple, he said.

“It’s important to love what you do and not focus immediately whether you are being recognized.”

“Carry passion within yourself, your part as an individual and not be afraid to express part of yourself that has been forgotten.”

O’Regan’s messages are not just cliches, but his heartfelt messages he gained through his experiences in life.

“I was picked on at school, called by idiots, people cut in lines in front of you, people shout things at you when you are walking down the street, that sort of things,” says O’Regan.

“It can affect people on their self-esteem, intolerances and aspirations,” O’Regan said.

“But, it is important to conform out of fear, and the contradictions that they allow themselves to embrace, for example, that burning desire to cross dress.”

“Freedom to understand yourself is important. Without those, you wouldn’t know who you are.”

For O’Regan, who values self-expression and individuality, bullying and its expansion to the internet is “awful.”

“I can’t even imagine what they are going through. When I was a teenager, all we had was MSN. Facebook didn’t exist. Online bullying absolutely makes life hell.”

“[Cyberbullying] disseminates negative energy, when people should be supported through online communication.”

“As an artist, bringing some of that positive energy and support, and being a small way of hope through my music is a worthwhile goal.”

In terms of cyberbullying and negative comments towards himself, O’Regan dismissed the naysayers.

“People are entitled to have opinions to who I am, and they are not always positive. That is what I have to go through as a public figure. That’s the reality now. I am not always liked yet they don’t know who I am.”

“But it can only make me stronger,” O’Regan said.

However, what keeps O’Regan motivated in his pursuit of music career is people who enjoys his music.

“I love seeing people who enjoy my music. They keep me excited. Witnessing people having fun and affecting people in positive way is worthwhile.”

O’Regan will bring Diamond Rings to Ritual Nightclub Dec. 7.