PWHL Montreal goaltender Ann-Renée Desbiens (35) poke checks PWHL Ottawa forward Kateřina Mrázová (16) during a Jan. 27 game at Place Bell in Montreal, Que. [Photo provided by PWHL]

PWHL Ottawa lost their third overtime game of the season Jan. 27 as PWHL Montreal forward Maureen Murphy ignited the record-breaking crowd at Place Bell to win 2-1

The 8,646 fans set a Canadian attendance record for a professional women’s hockey game, a record previously set in Ottawa’s home-opening loss on Jan. 2.

“It was great playing in front of such a large crowd,” Montreal head coach Kori Cheverie said. “They were so loud that when I was trying to talk to the players, I’m pretty sure they couldn’t hear me.”

PWHL Montreal salutes the home crowd after a Jan. 27 win over PWHL Ottawa at Place Bell in Montreal, Que. [Photo provided by PWHL]
Despite outshooting Montreal 44-24, it was Ottawa’s second-straight loss following a defeat at home to PWHL Boston and their third game in five days. 

“Obviously we’ve had a lot of volume this week,” Ottawa defender Amanda Boulier said before the game.

Both losses came from crucial mistakes — in the dying minutes of the third against Boston and in overtime against Montreal. Ottawa has exhibited a tendency for critical turnovers and failed breakouts in decisive moments this season.

The second meetup between these two teams was largely dictated by the goaltenders. Ottawa’s Emerance Maschmeyer and Montreal’s Ann-Renée Desbiens once battled for net time as Team Canada teammates, and the competition burned bright in this game. 

“Our goaltenders have kept us in games in which we weren’t exactly playing well in front of them,” said Montreal captain Marie-Philip Poulin before the game. “It’s been a big difference maker for us.”

Desbiens stopped 43 of 44 shots, while Maschmeyer held off 22 of 24. Both netminders willed their teams through regulation, doing everything in their power to keep the other team off the board.

Heading into the matchup, Montreal sat atop the PWHL standings with 13 points, while Ottawa was deadlocked with Boston, PWHL New York and PWHL Toronto at the bottom of the standings with nine.

Ottawa activated defender Victoria Howran for her first-ever PWHL game. Howran impressed at training camp but had yet to find her way into the lineup. Ottawa head coach Carla MacLeod also switched up the defensive pairings and forward lines in an attempt to find chemistry. 

Just past halfway through the first period, Montreal forward Laura Stacey caught Maschmeyer and the Ottawa defence sleeping with a wraparound goal assisted by defender Erin Ambrose. Although it established an early 1-0 lead, it was the last shot Maschmeyer allowed past her in regulation. 

The rivalry between these two teams, who last met Jan. 2 when Montreal spoiled Ottawa’s record-breaking home opener, bubbled over in the form of physicality.

With 1:10 left in the first frame, Boulier was sent to the ice after a chance on Desbiens, resulting in a post-whistle skirmish. 

Further punctuating the aggression was Montreal forward Alexandra Poznikoff being sent to the box for boarding Ottawa forward Emily Clark with 22 seconds left in the period.

Thirty seconds into the second period, Ottawa defender Jincy Roese upended Stacey, drawing a penalty shot on the play. Despite catching Maschmeyer out of position on the attempt, Maschmeyer reached behind herself to rob Stacey’s penalty shot in spectacular fashion.

The rest of the second period remained scoreless as both Desbiens and Maschmeyer held strong. 

With Ottawa nipping at Montreal’s heels at the beginning of the third, forward Sarah Bujold took a tripping penalty to give Ottawa a crucial special teams opportunity. 

Ottawa’s league-leading power play capitalized as forward Hayley Scamurra fired home a cross-slot saucer pass from captain Brianne Jenner to knot the game at one. Prior to the goal, Desbiens had held off 30 straight shots. 

Desbiens continued to be the difference-maker following the goal as Ottawa outshot Montreal 19-3 but failed to convert, sending the game to overtime.

“I think we just dominated the majority of the game and had real good scoring chances,” Ottawa defender Ashton Bell said post-game. “Overall, I’m happy with the direction that we’re headed.”

In the extra frame, both teams created dangerous opportunities. Maschmeyer stopped a breakaway chance from Montreal forward Catherine Dubois, followed by an Ottawa 3-on-2 where Jenner fed defender Savannah Harmon, whose shot nearly got through Desbiens.

However, the decider came when Ottawa forward Kateřina Mrázová turned the puck over to Montreal defender Kati Tabin at the Montreal blue line, creating a rush the other way. Tabin’s centring pass led to Murphy’s first-ever PWHL goal to end the game.

“I’m happy Murph got the game-winner,” Cheverie said. “She’s a hard worker and it finally paid off.”

MacLeod challenged the play for goaltender interference, believing Montreal forward Ann-Sophie Bettez had impeded Maschmeyer’s ability to stop Murphy’s shot. After review, the officials ruled the play was a good goal.

“Everyone is such a natural competitor that in the heat of the moment, there’s a little frustration, of course,” MacLeod said post-game. “The games are so close and every point matters.”

Ottawa is tied for fourth in the PWHL with New York with nine points each. Ottawa holds two games in hand.

One of the teams will break the tie when Ottawa returns home to host New York Feb. 4 at TD Place Arena at 1 p.m.

Featured image provided by PWHL.