WARNING: RESIDENTIAL SCHOOLS

This article contains mention of residential schools and resulting deaths. Those seeking emotional support and crisis referral services can call the 24-hour National Indian Residential School Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419.

Carleton University’s Students’ Association (CUSA) concluded a week of events in honour of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation with a vendor market at Haven on Sept. 30.

The event was held to “recognize and commemorate the thousands of Indigenous children, families and communities that have been affected by the residential school system,” according to CUSA vice-president (community engagement) Hallee Kejick.

The market featured several local Indigenous small-businesses including Beany Beads, Beading Makwa and Kokom Scrunchies. Haven also held a beading workshop on its second floor at the same time.

Kejick, who is Ojibwe, said the vendors were selected by CUSA reaching out to local Indigenous businesses and inviting those who agreed to participate.

Beany Beads is run by Anishinaabekwe artist Jessie Pengelly. While the focus of the business is beadwork, she said, it can be a lot deeper than just beads. 

“Sometimes we get people who come and talk to us and it turns into a conversation that is so much more than just beads,” she said. “Different colours, different looks can sometimes trigger a memory of a loved one or something about culture.” 

Selling traditional jewellery can bring about conversations with others as some people want to learn more about cultural appropriation and become allies, she explained.

Kejick said not only does the event highlight the intergenerational trauma Indigenous students at Carleton University face, but also how this is a systemic issue in society.

Despite the last school closing in 1996, the residential school system’s effects remain an issue in Canada today. Indigenous peoples are disproportionately discriminated against in the education, healthcare and criminal justice systems across Canada.

A store with orange hand prints on its doors.
CUSA hosted an Indigenous vendor market event at Haven to conclude a week of events in honour of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation in Ottawa, Ont. on Friday, September 30, 2022. [Photo by Ali Adwan/The Charlatan]
Another reason for the event, and those similar, is to hold governments and institutions accountable for the injustice, according to Aurora Ominika-Enosse, an Ojibwe social work student and coordinator of CUSA’s Mawandoseg service centre.

The Mawandoseg service centre aims to be a safe space for Indigenous students as well as meet the needs for those students and communities around the university.

“That’s what [the Mawandoseg centre] is all about and that’s why we’re here today. We want to help those students who don’t know and want to become allies,” she said. “It’s about moving forward with Indigenous and non-Indigenous students alike.”

Featured image by Ali Adwan.