Student campaigns to support Idle No More launched Jan. 9 at Carleton with a spirited round dance in the university centre, but a motion to support Idle No More sparked debate at a Carleton University Students’ Association council meeting over what the association should be supporting.

Third-year social work student Gabrielle Castilloux, who successfully pushed forward another motion that saw CUSA agree to announce they were situated on Algonquin land each meeting, argued vehemently for this motion.

She said the movement has drawn support around the world, and most students who disagree with the movement are buying into misinformation.

Former councillor Brandon Wallingford said that there were people against Idle No More, which was reason enough for council not to take a stance.

FASS councillor Vanessa Ebuka also spoke against the motion, calling Idle No More a “partisan issue.”

However, vice-president (student services) Fatima Hassan said she supported the motion and said that even if it didn’t pass, materials would still be provided for the student movement.

Castilloux said she expects CUSA-endorsed “swag” supporting Idle No More to be ready to go by the end of the month and that campus events in support of the student version of the movement will continue.

“We’re launching the student movement now,” she said.

“Colleges and universities across Canada are going to be standing in solidarity with Idle No More, why shouldn’t CUSA?”