[Graphic by Sierra Mclean].

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) approved a draft of its new bylaws and filled an elections committee at a virtual meeting on Nov. 29. The restructuring will replace the current CUSA association and incorporation bylaws. 

The day after the meeting, CUSA posted a video to Instagram in which acting chief executive officer and vice president (internal) Ahmad Hashimi confirmed the group will be merging their association and corporation. Hashimi also promised an end to the slate system and to “restore [CUSA’s] place as a leading student association in Canada.”

“If we fail to reform, CUSA will continue to be stuck in endless chaos, internal turmoil, lawsuits, and elections to lead a union which does not have a reputation or the soft power to accomplish a single advocacy goal,” Hashimi said in the video.

Under the new system, students will elect a president/chief executive officer and 31 general councillors, with general councillor seats awarded proportionately to each faculty based on size. The council will then be rounded off by representatives appointed to represent special student groups, the Carleton Academic Student Government (CASG) and the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA).

The five vice presidents will be elected by the council instead of by the students. However, the vice presidents will no longer vote upon motions put forth to council. The vice president (finance) position will be changed to “secretary-treasurer” and serve on the board but also will not vote on motions.

Council will be accountable to a new board of directors. The board will consist of the president/chief executive officer, secretary-treasurer and eight student volunteer directors elected by council.

The councillors only received the bylaw draft earlier that day, Hashimi said during the meeting. The bylaws were not approved by council and remain with McKenzie Lake Lawyers LLP under further review.

Council still has not called a presidential by-election, but council did fill its elections committee. Four seats were filled by the students who submitted applications: Prachi Bissessur, Simon Harris, Gabriel Emilio Paraskevopulos and Ally Krueger-Kischak. The final seat was filled by Anthony Valenti, CASG representative for the global and international studies program. 

CUSA is scheduled to meet again on Dec. 6.

Featured graphic by Sierra Mclean.