word
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

The Carleton University Students’ Association’s (CUSA) Unified Support Centre (USC) referendum passed with 4,241 votes in favour and 654 against in a by-election with results announced Oct. 24.

During the voting period from Oct. 16 to 18, 19.8 per cent of students took to the polls, surpassing the required quorum of 15 per cent. 

Following the passed referendum, the USC levy will be increased to $2.98 per student per semester to combat rising inflation costs, starting in September 2024. 

The money will directly fund the USC’s emergency essentials assistance program to meet the demand for food and basic living essentials for undergraduate students.

CUSA and the USC released a joint Instagram post ahead of the election encouraging students to vote.

The current mechanism of funding the program is unsustainable given the drastic increase in the food bank’s usage and the decrease in donations from the Ottawa Food Bank,” the caption reads. 

In the 2023 CUSA general election, voter turnout only reached 13.4 per cent, annulling all three referendums on the ballot, including the USC levy. 

That makes this year’s turnout of 19.8 per cent even more impressive, said CUSA president Mohamed “Faris” Riazudden. 

“It’s the biggest turnout in 11 years,” he said. “It’s unbelievable. And in a by-election, which is even more crazy, because this participation we’ve never seen in CUSA’s history in a by-election.”

CUSA vice-president (internal) Logan Breen said in an email statement to the Charlatan that this by-election saw the second-highest turnout for a by-election held in the fall semester since 2012.

“The only fall by-election which had a higher voter turnout in the past decade was in 2016-2017 with a turnout of 41 per cent on a referendum for a student union building,” said Breen. 

Riazudden said the increase in funding will allow for a greater variety in hygiene products such as menstrual cups, as well as more inclusive dietary options, including gluten free, kosher and halal options.

“We can now meet the demands of thousands of extra hampers that we can provide for students without having to worry about depending on the Ottawa Food Bank or CUSA’s own operating budget,” he said. “We are now able to stabilize that funding.”

“I don’t even know if words can describe the excitement,” said Aiden Rohacek, CUSA associate vice-president of executive relations.

Rohacek said the USC could also focus additional funding towards new and improved administration software.

“That would make it easier and more streamlined [in terms of] helping students and getting food to them faster,” he said.

The Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) also announced food hamper registration for graduate students on Oct. 24. Students can register to pick up food hampers twice a month at 600 Nideyinàn, formerly University Centre. 

GSA president Elie Abou Zeid said in a statement to the Charlatan that the food hamper service will provide graduate students with non-perishable food and other essentials in response to growing need, particularly for international students.

This initiative is our heartfelt response to ensure that no one within our community goes to bed on an empty stomach,” Abou Zeid wrote. 

Similarly to the USC, the GSA said it hopes to offer diverse options in their food hampers.

Riazudden said CUSA is hopeful that the increase in voter turnout will set a precedent in future elections. 

“It was a cause that a lot of students believed in,” he said. “It was something they felt or experienced, or their peers experienced, but regardless, I think voter turnout for the next couple elections should be around this range, or at least we hope to be.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.